For very specific reasons...

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by doobiedoobiedum, Feb 2, 2016.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I need to get a new refurb / 2nd hand tablet. I love my Surface Pro 3 but I also need a cheap but powerful older tablet.

A few years ago I had an HP2710p and apart from lack of power for some things, I eventually really liked it - I upgraded to Win 10 on it and put on a Wacom Feel It driver and screen accuracy was great. It got dropped by a student within weeks of calibration finally being what I thought it would be so it went for spares and repairs.

I am looking for something older and cheap - specifically wondering about the HP 2760p and the college will pay for it. However, when doing Google searches to check competitive and similar tabletpcs the Lenovo X220t and Lenovo X230t come up. This would be something I don't mind letting a student try out - whereas I would be really annoyed in my Surface Pro got dropped... so that stays out of college.

Checked Ebay and an HP 2760p comes out around £175 and a Lenovo X tablet comes out at £6-750 so I'm puzzled at the price difference? I thought these two machines were of a similar era and both have the older i7 processors so why the huge price difference for 2nd hand machines?

(P.S. I did contemplate a "which tablet" thread but as I am only looking at these two machines I didn't want to clutter up the general forum. Thanks in advance for any replies)

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I just actually picked up a 2760p last month.

I've always admired its chasis design and form factor, and I've wanted a replacement for the old Asus Eee PC netbook I used to have.

Small is nice; you can read with them while reclining and pop them open for quick use. My Tecra M4 is definitely more the kind of laptop you tactically "deploy" rather than pop open.

But I never got around to replacing my netbook, figuring, "Well, if I'm going to get a small computer again, it might as well be one I can draw on." The Elitebook series seemed to promise this, but they were never cheap enough to jump on. So I've always kept an eye on them, waiting for their price points to drop enough. Well, they finally have.

One nice thing about the 2760p versus earlier incarnations is that it takes a regular 2.5" laptop drive. -Rather than the 1.8" format all the older models were built around.

The problem with the 2730p and 2740p is that you could pick one up used on eBay for $50, but never with a drive. The drives were always very expensive parts, so in the end, after shipping and buying several parts, you'd find yourself spending up in the $2-300 range, -just for a curiosity. I was never that curious.

Anyway.., the 2760 is a very powerful little machine; it's actually more powerful than the Dell I've got my Cintiq plugged into. -I've done a bit of work on it already. It has a few drawbacks; the only video out offered is SVGA, so unless you get a docking station, you'd be limited in what you could plug into it in terms of Cintiqs and such. -Also, the screen really is too small to draw with any great comfort, and the calibration is noticeably worse than on my Tecra, which I think may have truly spoiled me.

But it works, and with some practice I've found it becomes just another tool. It will never become a full replacement for my Tecra M4, but for limited sketch work and reading and writing, it's a fine little machine. Hundreds of thousands of corporate users and four models over ten years can't be wrong.

One of the advantages I've discovered with it, is that I'll open it up all the way, so that both halves would lie flat on a table, and then hoist it like an angled plank, with the keyboard section resting edge-wise on my waist, and the screen against a table edge so that I have this drawing surface sticking up in front of me. Not a bad way of working, and it's not something any other laptop can do (because they don't have styluses to interact with the screen), -and interestingly enough, it's also not a position that any of these new 12" tablets can offer because they don't have a base or hard hinge.

I also have the slice battery on mine. So I can get full work sessions out of it and still have battery life left over. That's a real luxury in my life. None of my other TPCs could offer that, boy!

I paid $155 USD plus shipping for mine. It came with a core i5, a huge hard drive, power supply and 4 gigs of ram. And the pen. Seemed like a great deal. -And while it's not the cheapest eBay TPC you can find, it's still in the moderate expense ballpark where if I met some aspiring artist in dire need of a system, I'd feel okay about giving it away.

I probably won't for now, though. I'm enjoying it rather a lot.

My next experiment is seeing if I can complete a whole episode of "Stardrop" on it. Happens in the next day or so.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Out of curiosity, did you buy a protection plan for your Pro 3? Having broken the screen on two Pro'3 thus far, I can certainly understand your reluctance. The Pro 3 is overall very well made, but I think it has a few structural weak points. My first breakage was from a 4 foot drop on to a concrete floor screen side down......,no surprised it didn't survive that.... but I generally treat it fairly roughly....and my 2nd breakage...it was in its padded case.....in my padded laptop bag......the bag took a very very minor 1-2 inch drop......and cracked screen. The Microsoft Protection plan was totally worth it.

However, I too would agree that a 2760p could be perfect for you. Dirt cheap off ebay, still decent performance, and you may be able to pick up the slice battery for it too, which should give it phenomenal overall battery life. I'll admit back before that traditional convertible tablet PC design went out of style for Slates, detachables, & Yogas.....I very much considered purchasing a 2760p. The biggest issue I can see you having is dealing with the low screen resolution 1280 x 800......which in today's Retina screen/pixel packing age is quite low, but if that doesn't bother you, its totally worth the purchase. Normally I dislike HP products, but even I would pick the 2760p over the x230t.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I see bunch of Fujitsu T901's for cheap on eBay as well. It's about the same as 2760p, but offers bigger screen and also a chance to have an SSD (mSATA) along with a large spinning platter (2.5" SATA) easily (should have both slots accessible via simple doors with screws).

5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

If you're talking about the mPCIe WWAN slot, I don't think it can take mSATA drives natively. You're probably thinking of the T902, which can take mSATA drives in its mPCIe slot.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Huh. I just assumed you can do that with the T901 because I can with my T902. Too bad...

7. doobiedoobiedum

Feedback seems very pro the HP over an X220t - really strange that the used Lenovo is £500 extra over a 2760p..? It could be rarity I suppose.

Anyhow - I'm looking at an i7 model I can order from Germany - comes in at £214 including postage.

No, I didn't.. I'll check back and see if I can add it retrospectively.

I actually still have the docking station from the HP 2710p I used to have - luckily that stayed at home on the fateful day II took my tablet to work. regarding calibration - I didn't use my HP much till the day I tried one of the more modern Wacom drivers - a huge improvement in calibration. I'm sure it was a "feel it" driver for tabletpc.
    Trouble is Fujitsu 900, 901 and 902 models are very rare in the UK and have to be shipped over from the US or Canada. Customs costs take these things up to the price of a new Surface Pro 4.

I can get a Lenovo x230t instead for about £800 but that's still £600 more than an HP 2760p with an i7 processor.

8. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@doobiedoobiedum

I got my X220 tablet for $150 + shipping. I personally like both display and touchscreen better than T901, and overall the machine is much more friendly than Fujis and HPs thanks to very cheap parts and publicly available service manual.

Didn't even consider 2760P for inferior battery life, but with slice battery you'll have it good enough; compared to X220 tablet slice battery, though - costs more, harder to find, and gives you less juice. On the other hand, since you're considering X230 tablet, money shouldn't be a problem.

Unlike 2760p and X220/X230 tablet, T901 has socketed CPU and can be upgraded to i7 quad, giving it an edge in performance. Battery life, when used with both main and modular batteries, is very good, and then there is the screen estate. Batteries and WWAN ain't very expensive, unlike newer Fujitsu models.

Weight your priorities, and choose wisely. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  9. doobiedoobiedum

Ordered the HP 2760p - I kept my docking station for the 2710p so that will come in handy.

Now to explain to my partner....................

Starlight5 likes this.