For those who don't like the white back or want protection

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Mac Wilson, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Pen Pal - Newbie

have you tried using a heatgun to help it set into the tiny crevices?

2. Grimspoon

Grimspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone tried that CF skin from Skinomi yet? I'm curious about fit and finish and if it's the same material as the 3M Di-noc vinyl.

If anyone has this (or the 3M Di-noc vinyl) on their Ep121 I'd love to see some photos!

3. JustDavid

JustDavid ASUS EP121 Slate user

I ordered the black carbon fiber skin from Skinomi on April 24th, got a shipping confirmation and everything. I never received it and emailed several times. My emails were promptly answered. Finally received a $25 refund and my order is still valid, as they determined they did NOT have them in stock. Item will be shipped when it becomes available. They said it was a very 'high demand item'.

Although I am disappointed in not having received the purchase, I will give Skinomi high marks for staying in communication with me and apologizing for the problems. And getting a $25 dollar discount helped!

4. JimDandy

JimDandy Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd like to know how much weight the fiber and the epoxy coatings will add to the slate, how the stiffness will impact the ability to open the device (will it crack if flexed?) and how the fit/finish will feel with the thickness this will add...

I'm not sure the coolness of this kind of covering will override some of the physical characteristics this will create, not to say what happens to the warranty

5. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I get a kick out of the little mods you can do (need to do) to this thing.

My latest mod is very simple but I suggest others try it (in perhpas a more elegant way)

I've been using one if those cheap plastic stands that are mentioned in another thread, and I decided to apply it to the back using duct tape. It's positioned in the back center and fits very well there, almost like it's made for it. The reason I suggest this, is that I've found that it acts like a balanced grip holding it from the back. I can't stress enough how much of a difference this makes in balancing. I NEVER like to hold tablets, not even the iPad, but now i find myself holding it like this constantly.

Some cases have elastic that does the same thing but this is much much better as it's a stand also. I know that anyone who holds one of these for any length of time would b crazy not to balance it from the center of the backside. Grip it by the side or any way that it's not balanced on a fulcrum is asking for trouble. Mind you, I discovered this by accident, but it a worthwhile discovery. I'll post the link to the exact stand I use.

I just use duct tape and frankly, I sort of like the jury rigged look

Fortunately, testing this is cheap quick, cheap and easily reversible (like two seconds)

note: This is sort of like that clever invention that Steve Martin came up with in "The Jerk". You know, those glasses with the grip?. Of course Nathan was a genius and I could never approach his style......But one can dream....about a 'special purpose' :)

BTW, another thing I do that I think is very important (but looks like crap), is I make sure I fasten the ac adapter chord to something (In this case, I tape it to the back of the case). This is for stress relief, similar to the Apple magi-safe, which function is so you don't trip over the wires and knock you laptop of a table. I do it with the EP121 so I don't 'severely' stress the ac port from movement. (yes it remains attached. You need it anyway, as the battery is a joke ;) )

One company that I always admired for doing this is Roland (music gear). They put stress relief cable hooks on the backs of their music gear, as stage gear takes enormous abuse. At some point early on, they must have had a constant stream of bad sockets until they made this mod

Actually, it's a curious design regarding this with Asus. I suppose it's possible that they have a heavy duty reinforced socket, that will take any sort of abuse, but I doubt it. The angle of the cable puts a torque on the socket that has to be substantial. Fujitsu has special sockets that partially rotate to adjust for this, yet Asus seems to have nothing, and a precarious right-angle socket to boot.

The mind boggles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.