For the "RT is dead crowd"

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by jnjroach, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobWu

RobWu Scribbler - Standard Member

I actually replaced my Surface Pro for a Surface 2.

You know what? I haven't missed any of the desktop apps I was going to use on my Pro's desktop. For most desktop applications the lack of scaling is a pain tn the behind anyway. Screen's just to small for proper work.

Battery is excellent on the Suface 2, and for that one desktop x86 app I want to use I just remote login onto my PC or server. And that happens maybe once a month.

RT is an excellent platform without a lot of the old baggage of Windows. Some more developers that will see winRT as a viable platform as well next to iOS and Android and there's no more 'no apps' complaining.
    And a lot of apps are just overkill on a 10" tablet imho..

jnjroach and Steve S like this.
  2. sven.hassel

sven.hassel Pen Pal - Newbie

The idea is that in the future the apps will share the same code be for phone and tablet.

Nowadays the store started the unification, and you can pay only one time for a few apps than can be used in different platforms.

3. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

Not to get too far off topic, and maybe it's my lack of knowledge in the RT system, but there are still too few choices for me to replace my Android tablet. Just yesterday I installed a full webserver with php and mysql that I can use for learning and testing. My email provider doesn't have a slick windows 8 app like they do for Android. And I can't use OpenOffice on RT like I can on Android. I'm sure I could come up with more examples if I really started to compare. But if you look at where Android was back in the version 1 or version 2 you would wonder how you got any work done too. RT will be a fine alternative once it hits three or four revisions, just like iOS did and just like Android did. A wider range of programming tools to help take code for Android and massage it into code for RT certainly won't hurt.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I get what you're saying with most of your post, but uh, why would you even WANT to when you get the real thing for free? I've tried multiple iterations of OpenOffice and LibreOffice, and would never choose to use either unless I was absolutely broke and had no other options.

5. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

I have MS office at work and can get a discount for home, but I choose OpenOffice because I find it easier to do the things I want to do. And when I'm trying to do something I don't know how to do, the help I can find on the web is easier to get and understand than what I find for the MS products.

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's really interesting. Finding OpenOffice more useful than MS office. It's a first.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

7. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They should at least try with a low cost atom version alongside the rt to reach those who want x86 programs but don't want to spend $1000 for a pro. Would be a great seller with enterprise probably and another way to push the Microsoft ecosystem alongside WP 8.1.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

The Atom tablet variant would probably canibalize the i5 entry model sales. I can see that being a deterrent from MSFTs POV.

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think so. The entry level pro is what, $899? Atom tablets seem to be around $599 or so, that's enough of a difference to create separate markets easily. Hindsight was 20/20 last year to ditch RT and produce an Atom surface, but apparently that wasn't enough. Now MS has hindsight from 2014, let's see if they learn from their mistakes or repeat them yet again.