For heavy Adobe design use and drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Daria, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

@Azzart many thanks for answering all of my questions.

The surface I've tried in store had only one angle you could work at, and it was very steep. It seemed that there was no way to lay it low-nearly-horizontal (imo the best angle for drawing) - unless completely flat. Which I found very strange so probably I'm wrong and there was a way..

Now good news - seems like TODAY Lenovo started offering a £150 cashback on Miix700 until Sep 14th!! Yay, good news.

What I need to do now, is to check whether its worth waiting for the new Mixx 510 (assuming that it will cost around £800-900 and assuming that it will be released in the UK within a month). Also need to research whether Miix 700 is powerful enough for some emergency InDesign/Illustrator work (like when I'm on holidays or just can't be bothered to go and turn my desktop on, which by the way is possible only by opening the case and pressing the button on the motherboard ;) then there's an error while booting so you need to go to bios and exit it immediately. And then you need to restart it if you want the WiFi working, hmm..)

@surfaceproartist @Shogmaster thanks again for all your input.

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Daria the kickstand on the Surface Pro 4 is variable and definitely supports an angle that is nearly flat. The Miix shouldn't have any issues handling InDesign and Illustrator.

3. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

@surfaceproartist You're right, that was silly of me to believe the sales guy that the stand has just one position. I suppose it was very stiff so he assumed it can't go further. BTW those sales people here really don't know much about laptops, other than how much ram/which processor/etc they have.

I've had a chance to try out Miix 700 today - sketching in One Note as it was the only app installed. It worked pretty well!

I am now tempted to buy either Miix 700 or one of those Thinkpad's with the same Wacom pen technology :). Quite keen on Thinkpad Yoga 460 as it comes with i7 (as opposed to M7 for Miix 700) and probably a GPU - need to research more though.

One Note also had that jitter-stabilisation, so didn't notice any there, as there was a very bad jitter (looked just as bad a Surface to me) in Paint.

4. surfaceproartist

The Yoga 460 does not have a discrete GPU. Its cousin the Thinkpad Yoga 14 does but it is sold exclusively via Best Buy in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm afraid that's not even true...always check the specification sheet on the online store page and verify that the machine you are buying has the same model number.

Also, I wouldn't trust a store rep to give you accurate ram/processor comparisons, because sustained performance is hugely variable especially among laptops and tablets. This requires some pretty in-depth knowledge to make a fair assessment.

For that, nerd forums (such as this one ;)) are the best place to go.

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Core M7 in the top of the line Miix 700 is more poweful than Core i5 from last gen (5200U), just to give you an idea. It is fanless so the CPU won't operate at top clockspeed and wattage for extended period, but for most of our tasks including drawing and painting, that's not a likely scenario.

If you are encoding long videos or something, it's not a good device for the purpose. But for burst operations like Illustraror, it's great.

Daria likes this.
  7. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know what I went for - after hours of reading/watching reviews, comparing etc (usual stuff before you purchase an expensive bit of hardware :)), I've realised that:

- There is no laptop that was meeting all my requirements (min. 15", min QHD, dedicated graphics card, i7 quad-core, min 8 RAM, SSD drive.. AND drawing on-screen)
    - Out of the (not-so-good) ability to draw on the screen and mobile workspace power that will last long, the latter is more important to me (given 90% of my work is graphic design rather than illustration)
    - Better go for a powerful laptop and buy a proper Cintiq in the near future. Or a cheap-ish Miix/Surface. Or research on those cheaper Cintiq alternatives from Amazon, seemingly not too bad?

At first, I was almost convinced to buy a ThinkPad p50s, as all the specs were there.. BUT... by a chance I checked a comparison of my 5-years old i5 processor to the i7 used in the new ThinkPad... turns out that my old i5 (quad core, desktop) is 35% faster than the new dual-core i7. That was a shocker to me and I've realised that if I'm spending that much money it's better to buy the best specs I can afford - and Dell XPS 15 just had it all. 4K display (touch - not that I wanted to have the touch option but there was no choice) - going to buy an external 4K screen at some point, 16GB RAM, quad-core i7, 525 SSD.

THANKS SO MUCH for all your input, time spent on replying, etc :) Great forum, I'll definitely stay longer :) Especially that I love the concept of Miix/Surface and sooner or later I will be buying one, a cheap one as a useful gadget.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. surfaceproartist

So @Daria you decided you didn't need a penabled laptop after all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

There was no perfect solution but getting a powerful desktop replacement was a priority - as I said, I will get a penabled inexpensive 2-in-1 soon, or a cintiq to connect to the laptop. I just couldn't pay $2000 for a semi-good performance and semi-good drawing experience, so these will have to be separate devices. I hope this makes sense..

surfaceproartist likes this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Well, to be fair the thinkpad p50 costs more but it's more powerful than the xps 15...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.