For heavy Adobe design use and drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Daria, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

@surfaceproartist Thanks for replying :) I tried Paint too and definitely did notice the jitter. I think I could see that in Ink Workspace's Sketchpad the lines are being 'fixed' automatically, but I might be totally wrong.

I would be happy to purchase Clip Studio Paint for $49 as long as it's not another monthly subscription. Whoever came up with all those subscriptions (Amazon Prime, Adobe, Dropbox, Spotify, Audible..) was damn clever ;)

I found an 8GB RAM Miix 700 for £900, that's still pretty expensive to me considering it would be more like a gadget rather than a tool for everyday work, but I am thinking about it! I guess I could always return it if it turns out to be not satisfactory.

@surfaceproartist I can see you know your stuff - do you upload your work somewhere online so I could see it? (ideally the ones created with your Surface tablet :)

Thanks!

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Daria that's very expensive for a Miix 700. They've been found for as low as $500 here.

Clip Studio is a one-time purchase.

I'm not a professional artist and don't really like anything I do originally. I'm more of a comic art enthusiast who happens to love tech. For my reviews, I generally ink over the work of comic artists and cartoonists that I admire. I launched SurfaceProArtist.com three years ago out of frustration for the lack of basic information aimed at digital artists and to keep track of fixes and hacks as I found them. The site, my social feeds and this forum have become a huge time and money sink, but I love feeding my tech habit!

Marty likes this.
  3. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

4. surfaceproartist

Hope you like the site, @Daria. You may also want to look at the new Miix 510, which is due out next month and may retail for less.

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It would be amazing if Miix 510 ends up with lower street prices than Miix 700...

6. surfaceproartist

It's supposed to start at $600 with keyboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Guys, simply put in europe it's very rare to have the agressive drop of prices you have in the US, so a tablet that start it's selling life stays in that price for almost as long as it stays on the shelves: you can get a miix 700 or a z canvas for a price that for us it's incredibly low, prices that we can usually only dream off. ;)

Edit:
    On amazon though the price is similar for the miix 700: €714 for the m7 8gb in italy and $689 on amazon.com

That said...
    1. With cc2014/2015 yes. With some reserve I'll exlpain later.
    2. Indesign it's been a lot of time I don't use it so I can't say, illustration is perfectly possible
    3. No. Which brings me to the "explain later" thing: I used to do illustrations with a surface pro 3 i5 8gb with photoshop in full tablet mode without a keyboard (there should be a picture or two of my photoshop setup back then somewhere here on the forum). Keyboard or keyboardless the two main problems with photoshop were jitter with slow diagonal lines and no real way to setup the pressure curve of the pen properly.
    For the first one I got used to it -though the situation should be a bit better with surface pro 4- for the pressure curve I resolved using Lazy Nezumi that allowed me to set it more properly, beside the myriad of other useful things it does.
    So, if you take the time to set things properly you'll have a good experience with photoshop.
    4. It depends on what you mean with delays.
    A standard round brush in photoshop on the sp3 i5 would have started to feel heavy between 100 and 250px, depending on the spacing it had. Other more complex brushes were worse. Navigating the image was generally smooth and on the surface pro 4 i5 thing should be better. The m3 model of the surface pro 4 should be almost as good as the surface pro 3 i5 in terms of raw power.
    My cintiq companion in comparison while being older is much more powerful than the surface pro 3 i5. (Even if cpubenchmark.net says otherwise)

1. What angle? I used to use it at either very high or very low, the inbetween tended to give way under the weight of my hand.
    2. With Lazy nezumi I could also make the cursor completely disappear while working in photoshop, which renders drawing somewhat better since there was no cursor delay the problem with is that without cursor you have no way to actually know the current size of your brush. There was an option to hide only when drawing but sadly that didn't work properly on the sp3.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  8. Shogmaster

Yes, but Miix 700 starts at $500 on the street atm. I don't think you can go much lower than that with Core i3, even if Miix 510's MSRP starts much lower than Miix 700.

9. surfaceproartist

The Miix 700 was $899 list I believe. We're seeing clearance prices now which apparently never made it to Europe. The 510 will start at $200 less, so off the bat it should be more affordable in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Shogmaster

The whole EU pricing for computing goods is a big mystery to me...

As for Miix 700, the Costco $600 deal was way back in February IIRC so I think Lenovo had a very healthy margin built in on the MSRP for these from the get go. I still can't believe we ended up getting the 8GB/128GB model for $550 way back then. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.