For heavy Adobe design use and drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Daria, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm gonna zig while you guys zag and say Lenovo Thinkpad P50! Quad core i5/i7 with 15.6" screen. Skimp on the Xeon and GPU options and you should be able to stay in your budget. You will have to use it with the screen fully open like a giant book, but it gives you quad core muscle on a giant AES screen.

If you are OK with 1080p on such a huge screen, check it out.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's still an aes though. If the jitter is a problem in all the other model mentioned earlier, it would on that too.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And you have to really long arms, a big desk or work exclusively in portrait mode for this flat configuration to be feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Shogmaster

I do that config on one of those bedside laptop stand thingies with the Dell Inspiron 15 7568. Perfect size actually.

And the jitter not an issue since OP said she makes quick strokes. That's not make it an issue if it's isn't to the OP.

5. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, I'll reply properly tomorrow as its the night here in the UK but just wanted to say that I'm going to a computer store (Curry's) tomorrow and will do my best to get them to let me try one of those aes tablets. The stock is poor there but hopefully they will have at least one model so I can actually see myself how good or bad the technology is.

Speak soon
    Thanks

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'd advice her to go and try for a quarter hour at least a surface pro 4 to get the hang of how jittery an active pen is.
    I can draw on it -even if not as comfortably as on the companion- plenty of other illustrastors I know would never ever use such a thing coming from an intuos or a cintiq.

7. Shogmaster

i like it. It's a good advice.

8. surfaceproartist

@Daria, the problem with in-store testing is that you get wildly different results from different applications. Stay away from Fresh Paint (which is sadly one of the few apps that stores pre-install). Try out the apps Sketchable or Sketchbook for tablets if the store will you install them. If you're fortunate to test a machine that has the anniversary update already installed you can also check out the ink workspace's sketchpad. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Daria

Daria Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay. I've managed to try one of the Surface tablets in-store. I don't remember the app I've used there, but I think it had that jitter-stabilisation as I didn't notice any jitter at all. The app was super simple, but I have no clue what it was. Must have been one of those pre-installed ones I assume..

So overall it was a very pleasant surprise! I could definitely see myself drawing some small illustrations on a Surface (or Miix? I prefer Lenovo but would Miix be as good or better/worse?).

Some of my concerns:

1. Would this work nice and smooth with Photoshop CC?
    2. I can't see myself doing my proper design work in InDesign/Illustration with this tablet but definitely would be happy to own one for some small digital painting work. Assuming that this would work smoothly in Photoshop CC.
    3. Does Photoshop have this jitter-stabilisation too?

4. What is the cheapest Windows tablet with Wacom technology that would handle, say 3000x3000px illustrations in Photoshop with, say 15 layers, without any delays? (Or another drawing app that allows you using layers and is free, as I'm already paying for Adobe CC) I'm asking this question because my desktop PC is working again but I would still consider buying an inexpensive drawing tablet so I can do my digital painting when outside home/in bed/etc - I'd love that mobility, I think it would help me draw more..

Some minor issues I've noticed:

1. What I found really awkward was the angle the stand forces you to work at! Does any of you draw on it with that steep angle? (I hope this makes sense :) )
    2. There was no delay in drawing but, God, the cursor was ridiculously slow! I hope you can turn it off because it was very distracting, completely missing the points where I was actually touching the screen/drawing.

Edit: I've found a picture which might help identifying the software
    [​IMG]

10. surfaceproartist

Welcome back @Daria . You were using the Ink Workspace's Sketchpad, which is a standard feature installed on all penabled Windows 10 devices with the Anniversary Update.
    That software does not have brush stabilization, but its brush engine is superior to Photoshop's. That model of Surface Pro 4 is capable of running Photoshop but is hampered by its low RAM. I don't think you'll have trouble with the 3000 px scenario you describe.
    The Miix 700 has 8 GB models that should perform equally well and may end up saving you a bit of cash.
    If you didn't notice jitter here, you probably don't draw slowly enough to notice it in Photoshop either.
    I still urge you to try Clip Studio Paint on whatever tablet you purchase. It's often on sale for less, but even at its regular price the $49 pro version will be the best companion tool you've ever purchased! (And no, I don't work for them).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.