For class and meeting notes, which orientation will you prefer?

Discussion in 'Professions' started by siddhartth, Oct 27, 2016.

?

what do you prefer for note taking?

1. portrait

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. landscape

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

The title says it all. Browsing, Note taking, reading , what is ur preferred orientation ? Portrait or landscape.
    While tabletsPCs like Surface pro4 can be used in both ways. Surface book 2 can only be in landscape mode when docked with keyboard.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I use the SB in Portrait while in the base flipped, I use the wedged end to hold....

siddhartth likes this.
  3. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

only portrait. and hate docking stations (including keyboards) and kick stands that force landscape only. dang, I even use my external monitor in portrait but can't use my tablet in portrait when docked.

siddhartth likes this.
  4. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

Chose landscape only because I'm dealing with powerpoint slides inserted to OneNote. It is easier to write more stuff on the screen in this mode than going to portrait and zooming out to get more space.

djas and siddhartth like this.
  5. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

PowerPoint slides are my one use case for landscape. I prefer to just ink right on the presentation. got in the habit of inking directly in PP as you can't add comments to PP like Word.

Kritter likes this.
  6. siddhartth

I guess overwhelming majority prefers portrait mode and. I wonder why? is it because of the notebooks that we have been using since childhood. But I find the portrait dimensions of iPad the best, most tablet PCs in portrait mode feel too narrow, specially when using the browser to surf the internet.

I have seen the huge trackpad on the new MacBook Pros 2016, it would have been even bigger if the dimension of MacBook was closer to iPad. But may be then the Keyboard would have suffered compromises.

So, here is any semi final summary -
    • I people mostly prefer - Portrait mode for handwriting & reading.
    • People prefer landscape for movies and slides.
    • conventional clam shell Laptop form factor has forced upon us a tyranny of landscape mode since decades.
    • aspect ratio vs keyboard, since majority of tech users prefer to type instead of handwriting, so OEMs have already taken sides with the majority.
    Docking is the culprit here. Especially with Surfacebook which with it's quirky little hinge is great to work in landscape mode but is atrocious when writing in portrait mode when docked.

7. djas

djas Graffiti User

The 'Clipboard' section of the SB can be charged independently, isn't it? It looks so spacious in portrait inking-mode.

It'd be cool if MS offers only the Clipboard as another SKU. I'd purchase it in a flash. Don't need dGPU for notetaking.

8. siddhartth

But you do need the battery in the keyboard base. What are you gonna do with 2 hours of battery life in the keyboard.

9. djas

djas Graffiti User

1Sketch .png

10. siddhartth

That's the point of battery because one doesn't find a wall adapter every where one goes. Not in classes, not at work site.
    Instead they should sell the new performance base seperately.