Folios and Cases

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by TWACK, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I found what I was looking for at amazon. It's made for the samsung galaxy tab 8.9 screen. It's a shocksock pouch\case, purchased for 16.99 and it's made of some kind of leather like material.

2. Anarethos

Anarethos Pen Pal - Newbie

@RevMike

Can you put the link to this case/pouch?

Thanks

Oh, btw, hi everyone! First post here. Just bought an used HP Slate 500. Really loves it.

3. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

4. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

I am looking for a suitable replacement for the original HP BT Keyboard / Folio (impossible to get in the UK, HP does not sell it) and I came across an aftermarkef version made specificly for the SAMSUNG GALAXY 8.9" which should fit the old Slate 500

On amazon there are different vendors, all more or less selling the same thing :
    [​IMG]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMSUNG-LEA...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330710817&sr=1-1

I wonder if it could be compatible with our slate?

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

That looks great. I don't see why it wouldn't work with the Slate. Looks great. Please let us know if you like it.

6. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

It looks good and the price looks even better. Great tip! If you get it, let us know what you think.

7. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

there are many also on ebay and on you tube you can also find a couple of reviews.

I will purchase it next week and post an update asap.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yep ... we have them here on Amazon. Looking forward to your review on how well it fits the HP Slate. I would particularly like to know if you can put the slate with its pleather cover into the pouch?

9. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

Here I am with the "sort of " review for the alternative replacement for the original HP BT Keyboard / Folio

I finally ordered this one offered on AMAZON UK @ GBP24.99 Shipping included (around 40US$)
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMSUNG-LEA...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330710817&sr=1-1

The Item seems well made for the price.

The Keyboard is made of rubber, has a tiny (TINY TINY) on-off switch, a blue / green LED and a push button switch to pair it with other devices.

the Material is "PU LEATHER", basiucally a faux/fake leather that looks nice and appears to be quite strong. All internal parts are covered in felt, except for the keyboard which is a sort of silicone rubber.

There is a flap at the back which allows the tablet sto stay upright (laptop position) when typing; when closed the flap is held magnetically.

There is a sort of strap to keep the folio closed, also held in position by invisible magnets; one thing I noted, if the Slate and keyboard are on, when you close the folio, the slate makes a "ding" noise...

The pairing is not really difficult, but not very well explained so it took a while to get it right; I was expecting a blue light to come up during pairing, instead, the blu light comes on only after pairing is done and you are using the keyboard.

The keyboard is very sensitive and allows you to type at a fast pace; there are some keys that are "android" oriented, some have the same functions also for the slate (new window, search) others seem to be unresponsive. When pressing "caps Lock" a message on-screen will indicate the activation of the function.

now the bad news... the Galaxy 8.9 is sligtly bigger but much thinner , so the SLATE WILL get into the sleeve, BUT will need to be forced into.

I did use a hair drier (WITHOUT the slate...) in order to soften and stretch the material, and it did give a little so that the slate could be fitted more easyly, HOWEVER, it is still VERY tight and when closed deforms slightly the Folio.

The camera and the USB port Cuts do not match; the same applies to all the buttons including the on-off switch are covered, so it WILL NEED some modifications , at least to give access to the switch.

The best way to use it, it would be by replicating the Original Slate Folio Holding system, however I think that by heating a little bit more, the faux leather might give enough room to fit it without too many issues.

when closed, it is surprinsingly thin, 7-8mm more that the original folio and less than 1 Inch wider than the Slate.

I tried closing it with the pen in the Original Slate's Folio position and apparently it closes without forcing, but until the Slate is not fitted correctly and definitively, I am not in position to guarantee it will work; I think that the pen could be fitted on one side, specially if the Tablet retainers are modified and applied so that you can leave some room for the pen (there is around 1/2- 3/4 of an inch to play with)

Ultimately, for the price, it is OK...;)

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Great review! Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.