Foldable windows PC

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by nnthemperor, May 13, 2019.

1. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

Whoa, that would work too! Or better yet, a kickstand on each back, but rotatable at 90 degree intervals!

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

They need to develop a kickstand that let's you switch between landscape and portrait.

P.S. I see I was late to the party. But good to know I'm not the only one.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

3. Tablet Nostradamus

Right? Moreso with a 4:3 aspect ratio!

Generally speaking it would probably resemble this, but integrated and hopefully better implemented:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079TQZVBR/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure how that would work with the foldable, it would be super cumbersome. But I have a feeling if people saw the flimsy kickstand that's on the prototype right now, that will presumably cost at least $3000US when it's ready to ship, they would be aghast.

Marty and Kumabjorn like this.
  4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting concept, but I gotta ask what would be your limit for thickness?

The pen already adds significantly to the carrying bulk...

[​IMG]

Which is doubled-up by folding, with additional SB-style hump:

[​IMG]

But that profile does not include the thickness of the keyboard attachment... (which I've noticed all the press shots seem to hide for profile shots ;))

[​IMG]

Now to all that, add a rotating hinge stand...?

I mean I'd totally go for it, but that's because I love thick epic novels! :p

[​IMG]

5. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

But what does this give us ergonomically from the portability specifically?

A folding phone can be put in a pocket, which seems to be its huge advantage compared to a regular phone.

A folding 13 inch tablet can now be put in... a large purse I guess? But if you have a backpack, then it doesn't matter if you can fold it.

Trying to think of some interesting uses:
    - Seems to have a very nice "open a beautiful book feel"
    - Open the sandwich, put in a hefty amounts of kale and hummus, take a big bite
    - I guess in the workplace, it makes it more likely you will be willing tote around a 13 inch tablet between rooms. That may be just the one thing it does in practice.

Issues:
    - There's not much 4:3 aspect ratio content out there, same issue as ipads, black bars galore.
    - non adjustable hinge -> begs question of why not get LG gram 14 inch 2 in 1 or a surface tablet if you want "pick up a book" kind of feel portability/lightness + tablet function with full windows and you'd get a much nicer keyboard

Summary
    - More willing to use big tablets because you can fold and then tote around this moleskin-like object
    - Futuristic "open a beautiful book" kind of a feel
    - Improved totability is lost as soon as you want a full keyboard because now you have to grab two objects
    - Worse for lap usage obviously
    - No kickstand! A pretty huge loss

So in exchange for somewhat more tote-ability you really lose alot (kickstand, lap experience, number of objects to carry in some situations)

Helix style with trackpoint was really the best form factor I think. I wonder why magnetic detachable keyboards won out. I guess just that few moments waiting to disconnect the keyboard murdered the detachables except for microsoft.

So now they are trying foldable PC's, which may end up just being luxury fashion statements that are less functional than flip 2 in 1's or magnetic keyboard tablets.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  6. Tablet Nostradamus

Thanks for the closeups, didn't see these before. Looks like they'll have to make a smaller pen - oh wait, this is AES, so it needs to be that thick for the AAAA battery, unless they give it a custom-size rechargeable battery a la Apple pencil...OR they could go EMR and use a Samsung Note style S-pen, which should then fit in an internal silo. They could then offer a more expensive thicker option like HP's ZBook pen if the user so wishes. Well, a man can dream...

I don't see why they can't make a rotatable kickstand that's the same thickness as the Surface's. Have no idea how they would do it though.

I also wasn't aware that the keyboard was supposed to be attached. That's another thing Lenovo will have to figure out. I personally just use a Thinkpad compact bluetooth keyboard.

I'm all for slightly thicker tablets if it means better battery life, pen silo, integrated kickstand, and Wacom EMR.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Don't lie, you're @Tablet Nostradamus. You see all... :D

8. Tablet Nostradamus

I like the idea of being able to hold the tablet like a moleskin notebook, though I would hesitate to do that on the NYC subway considering how much this is gonna cost.

Like I said before, using a foldable to read comics would be pretty stellar.

Haha, yes, that would be one expensive kale and hummus sandwich.

As for 4:3 content, black bars aren't a big deal especially with that OLED screen. They aren't even that bad on a Surface's 3:2 AR. Web pages, coding programs, word processing/spreadsheet software would also benefit from the extra height...you know, like they did before 2008. I'm not a big Apple fan, but I have to give them kudos for retaining 4:3 for their tablets. Too bad you can't do anything productive with them. Just kidding! (Not really.)

Marty, lovelaptops and nnthemperor like this.
  9. paprikaleapt

TBH maybe you're right and adding kickstand ideas are already dead in the water. Alot of moving parts, I would be scared.

After a little bit of thinking, I don't see any ergonomic use case for a foldable 13 inch if there is no way to put in a kickstand + magnetic keyboard as well somehow. For phones, it was different- foldable phones can be put in pockets.

Kickstand + Magnetic keyboard >>> Folding ability

The thing is I don't see how anyone except maybe an artist who walks/travels around alot would like this form factor. And even then, this device will not be that powerful and doesn't have EMR.

I guess first they are just trying to develop the tech and see what happens

Tablet Nostradamus likes this.
  10. paprikaleapt

At this weight are you sure though? You would hold a 13 inch device when you could hold say a 12.9 inch ipad, which I assume will be significantly lighter and can just be physically rotated when you want to see two pages side by side?

Also I have a sense even for comics that you would quickly unfold it and then.... and then well it's still a beautiful OLED tablet that can give you the nice "holding a moleskin" feel.

So I guess maybe this tech is good if it promotes beautiful windows OLED tablets, I mean that alone seems like a good thing to me. But artistically only maybe.