Foldable windows PC

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by nnthemperor, May 13, 2019.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nothing yet, but you can be sure it won't be for the faint-hearted.

DRTigerlilly and Kumabjorn like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If a smartphone size tablet goes for TWO GRAND, can anyone stand the nose bleed for this thing? Maybe @Bronsky?

LENOVO - PUT THE PEN IN A SILO LIKE YOUR C930!

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  3. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this is a prototype, but that saggy pen holder is pretty sad. If you can't have an internal silo as @dstrauss demands, why can't these pen loops be at least half as long as the stylus?

Also, it's a shame about the Wacom AES, EMR would have been perfect although I'm sure there were technical and/or financial reasons why it couldn't be used.

I know I sound obsessed, but no one is focusing on the "built-in kickstand." I've watched half a dozen videos already and there's no clear shot of the landscape mode kickstand. I suspect it's not ready and the reviewers have signed an NDA promising not to show it:

Skip to the 1:10 mark. PC World's Gordon Ung: "You stand it up...not gonna show how..."

But here's a clue (skip to the 6:49 mark):

It looks like the kickstand is in the leather folio - origami style or like one of those cheap picture frame stands. The angle is probably not adjustable. They have a lot of work to do.

And finally, 4:3 aspect ratio. Hallelujah! If foldable tech ultimately flops, at least they gave us this.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Took the words right out of my mouth. The pen hanging on the outside of this device is stupid looking. Put the damn thing in a silo. Lenovo has designed charging silos for its AES pens.

5. Tablet Nostradamus

Another thing: holding the tablet folded like a book is a great way to read comic books as they were intended: not as single pages, but both pages facing each other. I know I design my comics to be seen that way, always being mindful of composition and what the reader takes in as they turn the page. Imagine full two-page spreads on these!
    [​IMG]

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yes, it's possible using the flexible EMR film layers shown recent UD devices (eg. at CES):
    [​IMG]

~@0:24 of the video:

There would be interference in folded positions, but that problem would equally affect an AES pen positioned between the two halves.

If they've solved the problem for AES (probably with a more advanced digitizer controller that selects one half as active), there's no reason the same principle could not be used with EMR.

nnthemperor, WillAdams, batty and 2 others like this.
  7. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait, are you saying that thing I read on the internet was.....wrong?!?!?!?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. Tablet Nostradamus

Just did the math: half of the 4:3 display is 3:2, which is close to the aspect ratio of standard American comic books. Nice!

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I don't get it - we are at least 3-4 years away from a durable folding screen (my finger in the wind guess) - why not just use the Courier concept of two abutting LCD panels. As they "open" they would slide along the long edge of the spine until they touch - problem solved...o_O

10. Tablet Nostradamus

Hahaha, @violajack.

I imagine the reason for AES is the same reason Lenovo uses it for their other Thinkpads. Here's a good article about AES vs EMR, but it's from 2016:

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/feature/active-pen-technology-explained-aes-vs-emr/

I'm sure this debate has been rehashed ad nauseam in this forum, but cursor drift, parallax, and edge drift aren't really issues anymore, at least with "EMR 2.0" (based on my experiences with the HP ZBook x2 G4 and the Samsung GB12). If anything, slow diagonal pen jitter and needing a battery outweigh those cons. Maybe AES is so ingrained in Lenovo's software ecosystem, that it's too late to revert to EMR?

DRTigerlilly likes this.