Foldable Screens...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thatcomicsguy, Feb 25, 2019.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Holy smokes!

I thought after Samsung's demo of their amazing folding screen that it would take a little longer before competitors caught up. But no sir! Huawei brought out this prototype...

Do you think Wacom will be able to bring EMR to this tech, or is it done for?

I hope they can. -I can envision foldable tech allowing for much larger drawing surfaces.

Imagine a compact laptop with a screen which can fold out to double the size?

Hmmm. Sounds awkward, actually. You couldn't open it up that easily in a coffee shop, and what about a keyboard? But it would be great for artists wanting to set up on a large desk. Imagine being able to roll out architectural schematics! Maybe at some point you'll be able to buy a Cintiq in a tube and pay by the yard!

Or is it like Silly Putty? -The US military spent a while trying to work out a use for that weird pink rubber-like compound. It sticks! It peels. It slow-flows. It even shatters when you hit it. It just seemed obvious that it should be perfect for some application or other. But they had to give up! The best anybody could come up with was to sell it in plastic eggs to children.

What do you guys think? How would you capitalize on folding screen tech?

2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

EMR with a folding screen would be a dream for me... a truly pocketable sketchpad. There's no hint of this on the horizon, but can only hope.

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm sure they're working on it, just as Corning is hard at it with bendable Gorilla Glass.

They already have the glass down to a 5mm fold, good enough for outside-folding devices like Huawei's. We'll probably see it added by next year's models.

Seems to me that Wacom's penabled layer would be easier than glass... but what do I know?

Marty, Steve S and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Last time I opened a wacom tablet (a Graphire!) the emr layer was just a thin flexible printed plastic circuit with magnets all around.
    Something similar to this:

So I don't see much problems if they want to.

5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

The EMR layer in my Note 4 is actually flexible. I should take a picture the next time I open it up. (This weekend. Fingers crossed the replacement rear camera I bought will actually work.) The main issue is that, as thin as it is, I don't think it'd be thin enough for a foldable screen.

But my Note 4 is several years old, and maybe Samsung has improved even more on it?

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Even if the EMR grid is technically flexible....for consistent folding as a folding phone would require......might be too difficult to engineer without it wearing down. I'd also imagine edge accuracy....which was already a weakness with EMR would also pose issues on the fold itself.

Now the Ntrig/AES "Electro Static" Method would probably be much more doable for a foldable phone. Since that just piggybacks the pen data off the touch data....so long as the touch screen function works....they could incorporate the controller chip anywhere in the phone. Really it shouldn't pose any greater engineering difficulty then the touch screen itself would.

Steve S, Eltos, Azzart and 1 other person like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think you're right regarding the challenge level in engineering AES v EMR. However, I hold hope for EMR because of two things...

1. Phones need thin, light pens, and AAAA battery solutions don't work well for thin or light.

2. Samsung is already invested in Wacom EMR.

I think foldable EMR can be done, and that Samsung has the impetus to do it. Once they solve it, I can see the tech migrating to larger machines.

Fingers crossed.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While Samsung is invested in Wacom EMR at the moment....that may not always be the case. With the Tab Pro S and that more recent Spin tablet.....I think Samsung has more then demonstrated its perfectly willing to forgo EMR if it wants. And with the exception of the Huawei Mate 20x....Samsung is still really the only game in town if you want a Pen with your phone. Simply put, Samsung could do whatever they want....so long as they remain the only phone provider with a Pen option, they will still rule that market segment regardless of what actual pen tech they use.

As far as charigng, AES has a rechargable silo option as used by Lenovo a few times....or they could opt for a charging port....or even copy Apple's magnetic charging method.

But the biggest problem I see tech sites already complaining about is the Fold's thickness when folded in phone mode. In addition to the Surface Book styled gap........the fold when folded is going to be a thick phone. EMR requires an additional digitizer layer.....since Samsung will be already fighting a thinness battle.....I can't imagine they would do any thing that could potentially make it even thicker.

Steve S likes this.
  9. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

I like the Mate X design better than the Galaxy fold. If Huawei were to include the ability to use the Mate pen in this device I think they could give Samsung a run for their money with this one.

Really a Mate X with pen would probably be my dream device, even if a bit thick when folded. A squared 8 inch sketching machine that folds up to fit in my pocket? Yes please!

JoeS likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

My guess is that they both will save that for the second generation. Gotta have something that people will go gaga over.

wytn likes this.