Foldable Galaxy Note on the way

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Cuberdon75, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not surprising ......however the nature of the S-pen greatly concerns me with this concept. EMR tech requires a separate digitizer board beneath the glass........we’ve never had a foldable EMR board before.....and EMR is already very problematic with edge and corner accuracy.....I can only imagine the engineering nightmare this must have presented. It would also be way easier if they did it more like the Surface Duo with two separate screens.....but I wouldn’t be too surprised if a Galaxy Note Fold S-pen ends up using AES instead of EMR.

nnthemperor and batty like this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

But would you really buy a foldable art/inking tablet with two separate small screens? I sure wouldn't. If I was getting a Note "Fold" I sure would want it to fold. The Duo largely functions as a 2 screen device because, IMO, its primary function is not inking.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If they'd do a device with an e-ink screen, and an OLED, and the e-ink allowed phone calls and note-taking and reading e-books, and worked as a keyboard and trackpad (à la the Lenovo Yoga Book) I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wonder why you think the Duo is not primarily an inking device. Well guess what? The crease that forms at the center of the fold wouldn't make for smooth inking experience either (that's until they figure out a way to implement the single screen fold).

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would gladly buy such a device.....the Secondary screen would be perfect for displaying reference photos. One single screen devices....usually I have to keep a reference photo somewhere on the canvas....taking away canvas space....in addition to the interface taking space....I would love to throw all that into a second screen, and use the drawing screen just as giant canvas. Really....any artist who gets accustomed to a Multi-monitor set up could totally see the value off having two separate screens instead of a single folded out one.

7. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

We can agree that two small screens are better than a small single screen, but surely it's better yet to have a screen big enough both for placing a reference on one end *and* for full continuous access when drawing/writing.

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, I suppose we can agree to disagree, which is a-ok. Would I place a reference image on a device if I was drawing? No. Would I infinitely prefer a folding larger screen? Yes, both for inking and as a screen. Do I think the Duo seems cool? For sure. But a functioning folding phone such as this Note Fold (a clearly important detail!) is much more appealing and functional to me. I'm sure others will love it.

The Neo seems more useful as a 2-screen device because the screens are large enough to serve as different functions to me- one is clearly meant to emulate typing on one, the hinge is clearly meant to emulate the experience of a laptop, and (for me) a single screen folded back on itself is big enough for the kind of inking I prefer to do.

Something I find curious about the link for the device is that I can't tell if there'll be the typical pen silo in the device. It isn't noted in the images. I like that feature.