FlipSteady case for Ativ and series 7

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Routb3d, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Routb3d

Routb3d Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

I developed a really unique combination cover and stand for tablet devices.. I have been hand making the FlipSteady for ASUS EP121 users and iPad users for the last several months but now its time to pick some new tablets to support. The ATIV tablets and the series 7 all look like a good fits but I'm a little concerned that these tablets all come with docks and keyboards. I'm not sure that my cover stand doesn't create a redundancy of functionality. Anyhow, I thought I would introduce you to my design and see what actual users think.

Here is a video showing the original product for the iPad.

[video=youtube;J2EUgZhGaA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2EUgZhGaA0&list=UUQapojdb58NHELLVWdzq8BQ&index=14[/video]

I may be able to design around the keyboard dock so the cover would not have to come off of the tablet in order for the tablet to be docked. I need to get my hands on the Samsung tablets in order to see what is possible.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly
    NewPencil Inc.
    Flipsteady.com

*Update*
    Looks like the FlipSteady for Samsung Ativ tablets is a go!

You can follow the development progress here in the thread you are in.

I am taking 50 free reservations for the 500T as well as the 700T at my website.
    Reserve yours for free now by clicking the link below and selecting your model.
    Link here

* With the free reservation You will not spend any money now and you are not committed to buy anything in the future. I am just using the ordering system as a gauge to check demand and keep in contact with those who are interested. although, those who reserve will obviously have the first opportunity to own a FlipSteady for their Ativ.

Update 2 - 01/12/13 - 8:30 AM
    At this moment I have received 17 reservations from forum members.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. Routb3d

Here is a view of the FlipSteady for the ASUS EP121..
    [video=youtube;oIJiYGosEms]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIJiYGosEms&list=UUQapojdb58NHELLVWdzq8BQ&index=1[/video]

3. mnbrennan

mnbrennan Pen Pal - Newbie

Isiaiah,

This looks like an excellent product. I am looking for something to protect my Ativ 500T while it is disconnected from the keyboard, which can stay on while attached to the keyboard. Protection for the keyboard is not important.

The main reason I need something like this is that if I intent to unwind on a train, there is sometimes not enough space for the keyboard and it may get scratched. If I intent to take it into meetings and take notes, again, I don't want to take the keyboard in. But I do not want the back to get scratched or damaged while I take notes. This product looks like it would suit all purposes, provided I can attach the keyboard with it.

If you would like an help in developing or testing your product, please do not hesitate to give me a shout.

Martin - UK

4. mnbrennan

Actually, I've just thought that since the 500T and 700T are the same length and width, but different depths, you could in fact produce the same case, but with some sort of sponge or cloth insert to take into account the slimmer 500T. Sure, this might create additional bulk (negligible), but would reduce your development costs.

5. Routb3d

I am actually working on the 2nd generation of the product for the iPad / iPad mini which involves way less sewing and implements a new method to make a fabric covered bent metal bracing for the attachment to the back. This new method and design allows for the cover to sit %100 flush to the screen rather than resting on the bracing from the back. Using this new method I would certainly need to make 2 separate versions of the case that are made with slightly different tooling which is no sweat with modern tech. My main concern at this point is my ability to work around the keyboard dock in both instances. I simply have to get my hands on one of these tablets in order to test fit and play. Once that happens I can generally have a working prototype in a few days. If I decide to try for the Ativ I will post my progress here in this thread. I would like to see some enthusiasm from Ativ users first so I can be confident that my work will be well received. We will see.. I made a lot of happy ASUS EP121 users and I still move a few cases a week even though the EP121 is showing its age.. The people who own my cases generally become big fans sighting that it is their favorite case for any device.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly
    NewPencil inc.
    FlipSteady, , Origami Inspired Tablet Stand

6. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would to have one for the 500T without the keyboard, only the tablet.
    Please do not forget to deliver in France too.

And do not forget to make the flip stay closed (elastic, magnetic, other)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  7. mnbrennan

Sounds like you have a genuinely interesting product to market.

To give you some food for thought, here are a few images of the keyboard attachment to the screen, although I'm sure you have done plenty of research on the matter. I just thought it might help.

IMAG0601.jpg IMAG0602.jpg IMAG0603.jpg IMAG0604.jpg IMAG0605.jpg

8. Routb3d

Thanks for the pics.. These help. I can definately see that it will be a challenge to capture the device without interfering with the dock. I may need to make the bottom 2 (docking side) corners easily slip off but I imagine that any bracing that comes to the front of the tablet will create a thickness and therefor a gap between the screen and the keyboard when the case is closed. To be honest, the combination of the tablet and the dock look tightly enough integrated that it may be best to remove the protective cover all together when the table is being used with the dock... I'm not sure it would make sense to have an accessory case at that point.. I'm not ruling out the possibility..

9. mnbrennan

Very well pointed out - in fact the gap between the screen and the keyboard in very small. There is a slight lip there, but it may not be enough to attach something to. Indeed if it is the case that the cover needs to be removed or slip off, its still something which would be useful. Lets hope more people get behind this!

10. fatstoge

fatstoge Pen Pal - Newbie

If seen other cases for the 500T that technically work for the 700t but what concerns me is that they seal off the ventilation. Do you plan on addressing that?

11. Routb3d

I certainly would take the fans and any other interference into consideration.. Thats the name of the game! Look at what I did for the EP121 in my second post in this thread. I did my best to harness my grab power with as minimal consiquence as Was possible with my method of construction. The EP121 is the most difficult device I have designed for by a long shot.. Although, the presence of the dock in the Ativ represents an entirely new challenge.. How to make something that plays nice with both?

12. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do no try to have one product that fits 500T, 700T, with or without keyboard.
    Your products are not cheap.
    So do 4 products depending people will want to use them.
    The most urgent is without keyboard, because with the keyboard the screen is protected and we can fin many sleeves.
    And I prefer you start with the 500T.
    Pay attention to the windows 8 gestures, either in landscape and portrait.
    Please add something to keep an additional standard stylus, one of the same size of the EP121 one.

13. Solom01

Solom01 Scribbler - Standard Member

If it can come to market quickly this would be the perfect time to introduce it, since there is very little competition out there. I am a bit concerned about how close the case comes on the bezel. I know that with my Acer W500 a case that I used with no problem with Windows 7 became worthless with Windows 8, since gestures became hard to make. I would be sure to test it with all of the multiple gestures used in Windows 8. Sorry if this sounds too obvious, but the case that I am waiting for (about the only one I could find) will surprise me if it doesn't end up going back because of this issue.

14. JDTagish

JDTagish Pen Pal - Newbie

Isaiah,

That looks awesome, and I'd be thrilled to have a case that doesn't require removal in order to use the dock! It's the number 1 item on my wishlist for an ATIV accessory!

15. Routb3d

Well it sounds like some folks, like myself, are interested in the possibilities. That said, I suppose I should start playing around with a design. It would be quite expensive for me to go out and buy both versions of the tablet in order to LaserScan them into my computer and have a go at the design. I live in Tacoma Washington. If there is any of you who are close to me, say Seattle, I would be willing to Trade a resulting case for two visits with your Ativ. One visit to 3D scan the Ativ into my computer and another visit for a final fitting, testing, a photo shoot and finally a video demo.

Within the next few days I will make a free item available in my store that will allow anyone to reserve a case for themselves at no risk. At the end of the day you will not have to buy a case. Your order is only to give me an idea of how many people would be interested and provide me with A vote of confidence.
    If I can attract around 30 people that want a case, it would be worth my while to develop the case and the tooling. Keep in mind that the price of the case will be around $85. I realize that $85 seems like quite a bit for such an accessory but I have found that about $85 is a reasonable price to personally hand make these cases in small quantities And keep my self-employed status.

Also, I would want the resulting product to be a reflection of what this community really wants. I would be willing to share the design process with you in this thread so that I could receive valuable feedback from the community as I develop the product. This same process worked great for the Asus EP 121 users and will work equally well here with enough participation.

If you are watching this thread and you have a sense that you would want a case for your Ativ like the FlipSteady, please pipe up so I know your behind me. Making a case for the Ativ is no small undertaking and I'm not going to do it without you.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly
    NewPencil inc.

16. JDTagish

JDTagish Pen Pal - Newbie

Isaiah,

Sent you a PM

Deni

17. biswasd

biswasd Pen Pal - Newbie

Isaiah, I would LOVE TO buy at least 2 of these cases for the 700t and the 500t.

Frankly, At&T already offers cases for the 500t, but nothing is out there for the 700t....please make the 700t a priority as the market is primed with demand, yet nothing is available.

one of you cases with a hand strap on the back for holding the 700t (for presentations) would be ideal given the weight of the tablet. And, if one could leave the case on while docked in the keyboard dock would make it perfect. perhaps a foldup flap for the long side of the device which has the dock connector....which would then allow the user to dock the tablet with the case on.

thanks in advance. have admired your work on the ep121.....

18. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

I like this concept. It looks like it gives the EP121 plenty of ventilation on the side, but is there any way to get the middle of the back plate open? There's an intake in the back of the Samsung devices that would work better if open to air (S7S in particular). The ATIV 700 might be okay since it's not centered, but has 2 which might be covered by the top of the X. Perhaps do a grill pattern for open air?

19. Routb3d

Below are some notes I am compiling for this go around of case design. Next come drawings.

Flipsteady case for Samsung Ativ tablets

Un-movable Design criteria:

%100 continuous access and clearance for all Cameras, ports, jacks, fan vents, buttons, status lights, speakers, stylus holders, microphones, etc..

Full access to the area around the screen for Windows 8 swipes and gestures.

Minimal and effective corner, back and side protection for the Ativ tablet.

No magnets due to the Wacom digitizer.

Absolutely no resorting to Velcro for Anything, EVER!.

First thoughts and solutions:

Ideally, the FlipSteady case will brace the Ativ tablet around it's bezel in a way that is as minimally intrusive as possible to the experience of docking and undocking the Ativ from its keyboard as well as the experience of opening and closing the tablet to the keyboard while docked.

Ideally, the Flipsteady case will somehow benefit the user experience while the Ativ is being used as a tablet or a laptop or being carried as a tablet or a laptop.

The Side of the Ativ that docks on the keyboard will have a removably attached brace that can be quickly manipulated to brace the bezel for exclusive use of the tablet or moved out of the way into a *secure position* that allows for easy docking of the Ativ without having to remove the case entirely.

The removable brace on the docking side of the Ativ will double as an open side for the installation and removal of the Ativ tablet from the case.

* While the brace must take up some amount of space not serving its primary purpose of bracing the tablet, the brace or space that the brace creates could and should be used to serve another purpose if at all possible. ". Below are examples of possibilities.

A and B are simultaneously possible.

A - The removable brace on the docking side of the Ativ could be used as storage for a studio stylus or a power chord While the brace is detached from the bezel and the Ativ is docked..

B - The removable brace on the docking side of the Ativ could be used to further increase the attachment strength of the Ativ to the keyboard with the use of a hook and elastic tension. The hook would be stretched around the docking hardware and hook on to the bottom of the keyboard at the hinge.

Priority for customization:

I want to leave the design of the rudimentary FlipSteady case relatively open to receive a number of accessories. The accessories that may be attached to the case could be hand straps, shoulder straps, containers for extra styluses, chords, wallets, documents, mobile phones, accessory water proof protective sleeves, etc..

Feel free to expand or debate any of this accept the Velcro..

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly
    NewPencil inc.

20. Routb3d

I agree that the cover should stay closed better than prior models. Have no doubt that I will ship to France. Several FlipSteady cases are already meandering about France as we speak.

Thanks,

IC