FlipSteady case, cover and stand for the ThinkPad Helix

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Routb3d, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pedram

pedram Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Isaiah,

Just signed up to say that is amazing! Well done :thumbsup:

I would be much interested as well; however I got so angry with Lenovo today as they just postponed Helix release in AU to the end of April (who knows really?! this is third time) and then probably 2-4 weeks for delivery. I cannot believe Lenovo does this with lots of potential customers who have been waiting such a long time (myself from Jan!). I am strongly thinking to buy a Fujitsu Q702 tomorrow. If I can convince myself to wait that much more, I will let you know and make a commitment buy.

Again, fantastic job :cool:

Cheers,
    Pedram.

2. crane3d

crane3d Pen Pal - Newbie

I am interested in purchasing one as well.

Super cool video, loved seeing the process. Looks like a well made product and I would rather support a small producer like yourself than a large scale operation. Hopefully we can get enough people on board to bring this to life, looks like we will. I'll keep checking back for updates! Nice work!

-MC

3. Routb3d

Routb3d Scribbler - Standard Member

welcome my brave FlipSteady early adopters,

Here is your opportunity to reserve 1 of 29 free reservations from the first Production of the FlipSteady for the Lenovo ThinkPad Helix. Thanks Don for helping me test the item in my store!

The preorder link also lives in the first post of this thread.

When the quantity in the store reaches 0, We will have lift off. At that point you will see me scrambling to get my hands on a Helix, developing cardboard prototypes and fabricating the tools to make this happen.

If you live in the Seattle area and own a Helix, I'm interested in working with you to see the Helix in Person. I may strike a deal with you in order to have your beloved Helix laser scanned so I can have a 3D reference model to design with. You may even be present for the laser scan if you wish. PM me if you think you can help.

The price for the case will be no less than 129.00 and no more than 149.00 depending on its features. More work = higher price = depends on what this group really wants.

I will say this, you are in for an experience to accompany what will probably be the most memorable purchase you will ever make for $129 - $149. :) I aim to exceed your expectations.

Please remember to like, rate and subscribe to this thread. Post often so we stay at the top. We are, after all, making a community around this project.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. pion2099

pion2099 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I responded to your youtube vid, posted the following, figured I'd add it here too.

-- Howdy, I love your work. You recently asked in the Helix thread if this would be a good case, and I've thought it was a genius idea since you first began the kickstarter. My own personal preference would be having the flap on the horizontal edge to remove the awkwardness of flipping it open sideways when docked, and preferably on the side opposite the dock opening. --

Anyway, you can sign me up for a guaranteed sale regardless of how you implement it. I like the idea of not having to attach, detach and reattach stuff, particularly for something like the Helix that has multiple forms and functions. One thing I disliked about the samsung 700t, and all the other hybrids from what I can tell, is you can't remove the tablet from the dock while its closed, making it awkward to do on the go. The Helix seems like it lets you remove or flip it around while its closed, and being able to leave th cover on the entire time makes it easier to detach and pull from a bag, or better yet, flip it, toss it in a bag, and still have the screen pretected by the FlipSteady. Not sure how possible that would be given the dock side flipping back possibly interfering with the keyboard tho, so it may be a pipedream. Regardless, like I said, I'm in for one.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  5. Routb3d

Valuable suggestion. Please have a look at where suggestions go in the first post of this thread. There you will also find a free registration link to secure your spot for a FlipSteady for the Helix from the first production run.

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly

6. pion2099

pion2099 Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome, registered and pre-ordered, thank you.

7. Kabouik

Kabouik Scribbler - Standard Member

I second the suggestion to have the flap on the long side, with the hinge at top (opposed to the dock side), so that the cover can be flapped down behind the back of the tablet when used as an ultrabook. I hope though that the cover won't block air flow (both where the vents of the tablet are of course but I am sure the design will be adapted to these vents, but also where the tablet "meets" the dock, i.e., where the fans are located and where the air is coming from).

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I have to agree with pion2099's idea. To have it flip on the top horizontal side makes great sense and is more ergonomic. The idea of having the case protect the screen while the tablet is flipped (a unique aspect of the Helix design) makes sense too-- presuming the thickness of the back of the FlipSteady won't stop the tablet from fully closing.

The truth is this is a major concern of mine even,and is unanswered by the videos. If I was just using the device as a laptop, can the laptop "lid" close with the FlipSteady covering the screen? Or is it really only for use while the device is separated and is a tablet? Is it an all-in-one on-the-go experience? Or would I need to be putting the FlipSteady on and then taking it off whenever I wanted to shut the lid of the laptop and transport it that way? Of course, for the Helix, the same question applies to flipping the device and having the tablet reattached while "backwards". It's very unclear how it all works in relation to the keyboard, while the keyboard is closed.

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

One additional question-- If I detach the tablet and want to use it as a slate while working in the field, walking around, etc. can I flip the FlipSteady cover over backwards and somehow "attach" it securely to the back of the device, so it won't "flop around"?

Basically, I would imagine it would need to act as four things-
    1) in the field, I would need it to sort of act like a protective case of sorts, where it's not in the way, moving around, but is attached
    2) at home or while drawing I would need it to act as a stand, just like you show in the videos
    3) I would need/like it to attached and not "floppy" while using the device as a laptop, and
    4) with the potential that we could also use it "flipped" as a slate still attached backwards to the keyboard

I don't know if that's really possible, but the Helix is so changeable in terms of form function and usage, that I would imagine having the FlipSteady work for these various functions, and having it sort of perma-attached to the device no matter how I was using it, would be key for a 130-150$ purchase.

10. Routb3d

Here is what I have to contribute to hinging along the long edge. We lose our stand if we fold a landscape. We can remain folding in portrait and hinge to the long edge but we wouldn't have much of a connection at all.

landscapeportrait.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.