FlipSteady case cover and stand for surface pro

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Routb3d, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Routb3d

Routb3d Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

I Personally design and make beautiful cases for high end tablets. The Surface Pro may be my next adventure. Here is my latest work on the Ativ 700t.

[video=youtube;-QlsQIz71KU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QlsQIz71KU[/video]

I designed, made and shipped 25 of these cases for Ativ 700t users in these forums. So far I have sold 36. Reviews are just starting to come in.

You can see the entire history from when I first engaged the 700t users to when I delivered their cases in this thread. The thread contains photos and videos of prototypes and manufacturing tools. I updated the subscribers with my progress in designing and manufacturing. I implemented several suggestions from my subscribers that led to an an absolutely incredible product. I keep the wisdom of the crowd in my design.

My question for you is, "Do you think the Surface Pro is a good fit for the FlipSteady case?".

I am personally concerned with:

1. The redundancy of standing mechanisms between the FlipSteady and the Surface Pro. Are the extra standing attributes of the FlipSteady attractive or is the stand on the Surface pro good enough?

2. Competing use of the cover. For the Flip Steady to make sense, A Surface pro user would have to want to ditch the keyboard and keep that as an accessory that they use when needed. I Designed the FlipSteady for the Ativ700t to be able to dock on a keyboard without having to remove the case and I'm sure it will work fro the pro as well.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Isaiah Coberly

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow! Well done Isaiah... very nice item :)

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, that's pretty impressive stuff. Personally, I wouldn't use it, but I suspect there are at least a few here who would love it on the Surface Pro.

4. Routb3d

Thanks for the reply. I suspected that the rig on the Surface pro is pretty good as is. Though, it would be fun to design for.

Isaiah

5. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

Amazing origami cover. But I agree that, with the pro's kickstand, such a device is redundant (at the $100 price range that is). throw in a Pen holder and micro sd card holders you might have better luck with Pro users.

6. Routb3d

That's what it's all about. We can make it anything we want. MicroSD card holders sound like an interesting idea. Why is it so common for a surface pro user to be carrying around microSD cards?

Isaiah

7. cmd

cmd Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure how common it is... but unlike most full windows tablets, the Surface Pro doesn't offer 256GB version. I tend to store a lot of video, and will have around 3 micro SD's accompany my device.

8. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

This is the first case to have really grabbed my attention. The Surface Pro kickstand design is unique and wonderful - but it's not perfect. I see an opportunity in the FlipSteady case to correct many of the Pro's design flaws.

The Surface's kickstand is definitely not good enough - it lacks a low angle option. If the FlipSteady case can provide one or more lower angle settings, at low bulk and weight, I would seriously considering using it instead of the kickstand. If the FlipSteady case can somehow accommodate using either the case or the kickstand as a stand, then it would be even more flexible - but I'm not really sure that's necessary. It's already super-flexible, and that flexibility is what makes it such a compelling product for me.

(The other advantages to me are protecting the back and securely storing a pen, but any old case can do those things.)

The biggest selling point of the Surface Pro for me is the Type/Touch Cover design. I carry my Type Cover everywhere with my Pro, because it perfectly combines function and form. It makes my tablet a thousand times more useful without any appreciable cost (and additional benefits to boot), and I would never ditch it.

Can you think of a way to make the FlipSteady case work with instead of against the Cover? All I need is for it not to interfere with the docking connector or closing the Cover.

Btw, thanks for the 'making of' video, it was really cool to watch.

9. stangz71

stangz71 Pen Pal - Newbie

I would be this for my Surface Pro in a second, as long as the pricing is not too high.

10. Routb3d

The price would be 129.00 to 149.00 or so.