Flip 14A pen problem

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Makoto, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makoto

Makoto Pen Pal - Newbie

So when i thought i finally was going to be able to get some work done with this (finding a stylus was a huge problem. i'm using a sony vgp-std1)... nope, lol. I ran into a weird problem, i have the i3 8gb ram model (regular hdd, no hybrid or sdd).

Whenever i draw for a little while in any program (other than paint, tried sketchbook pro, artrage, illustrator) the digitizer starts to lag behind, as in i will draw a line and it will take like 1-2 secs to actually appear on the screen and it gets progressively worse, is this normal? i'm guessing it's a thermal issue, or is the i3 just not up to the task? i'm not using several layers or anything like that, just regular doodling.

Also i feel like i need to use too much pressure to draw lines, but i'm assuming it's normal with ntrig? just used a galaxy note 10.1 before... if it wasn't for me needing windows i'd go back to it. Oh, btw, i'm using the latest wintab drivers that appeared for the surface pro 3 and the default windows 8.1 install that came with the laptop.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. kvad

kvad Pen Pal - Newbie

In Sketchbook Pro, try going to edit/stylus responsiveness and moving the slider all the way to the right (more) - that should take care of the pressure. If I just brush mine faintly to the screen it will leave a mark.
    The 1-2 second delay does sound like throttling or some other performance problem if it's the same in all the programs. That being said, Sketchbook Pro is extremely lightweight. On my 15A/i5, running in balanced mode (where it's locked at 800mhz) it will never go above 20% CPU utilization with normal sized brushes. I'd keep an eye on task manager and throttlestop to see if there's anything else going on.
    If it was Sketchbook only, make sure you draw with the free tool and not steady stroke. The later does have the line appear with a delay to smooth out the lines.

3. Makoto

Makoto Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply, i ended up doing a clean install of windows 8 pro with minimal drivers and it got a bit better but i still got some lag, so i tried changing the hdd for an sdd and that took care of most of it. In part i still think it might be that the i3 is underpowered for some brushes and bigger canvas sizes, but now at least it's endurable.

I think that the 15a has better ventilation (since it has exhaust holes on the back of the unit and on the sides, the 14a just has one on the sides), so that might be a factor as well, but my 14a is sure running a lot better with the ssd. The pressure thing still bugs me a bit but i think it's just me being used to wacom pressure, haha.

4. kvad

kvad Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you tried Manga/Clip Studio? Allows you to set up custom pressure curves so you can gave it just the way you prefer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.