Flicker-free tablets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jamon, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

2. sharkier

sharkier Pen Pal - Newbie

laptopmedia.com do pwm reviews for android phones. I've also hear the iphone doesn't use pwm.

3. xader

xader Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,
    i have just found a video for Thinkpad X1 Tablet,
    please clarify if it is PWMed monitor

starting from 1:32

Thanks

4. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

It appears to be flickering bad. I was probably going to buy that. Oh well, the wait continues.

5. xader

xader Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    this is a tablet from China small manufacturer,
    I cannot observe flickering on the screen, is that harder to detect using only camera this case?

From TechTablet.com started from 1:20

6. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Just wanted to tell that I can't see any flicker on the Vaio Z Canvas at any brightness (using the camera or pen test).

7. TallSean

TallSean Pen Pal - Newbie

We bought this tablet a few months ago and haven't seen any signs of flicker based on the camera test, and the fact that it hasn't given me migraines.

Dell Outlet Venue 10 - 5050 Lollipop OS Android 5.0.2

8. Svetluna

Svetluna Pen Pal - Newbie

Get these strokes on my Yoga P40 at about 40% brightness =(((

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey guys!

I hope some of you are still around to see this niche thread pop back up. copy/pasted from the Samsung board.
    ~~~~~

From the Samsung info page...

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung...n-june-11-with-in-store-availability-june-26/

"It offers a premium viewing experience with a Full-HD touch screen equipped with RealView Display, showing images at 350 nits in normal mode, and 450 nits in outdoor mode, for extreme clarity even under direct sunlight."

How does this work, exactly? Are they using one of those seizure-inducing LED high Hz flicker modulation schemes for their "Indoor" 350 brightness setting? Or is it something more sane, like simply overall limiting the source power for the screen.

Too bright is too bright. Is the 450 nit level eye-burning for use in a soft-lit room? Heck, is 350 too bright? Because no way am I going to be staring at a flickering light source for hours on end!

10. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Just checked my Fujitsu T734, which I assumed was PWM-free since my eyes never got tired after using it for hours, to a point of praising it - and woah, it actually has PWM at any brightness level below 60%. On a smartphone camera, it flickers very fast on brightness levels 0% & 10%, and quite slow on 20% to 50%. I mostly use it at 0% to 20% brightness. Didn't have any problems using X220 tablet which reportedly has low-frequency PWM either.

Guess that makes me completely insensitive to PWM. \= I do get annoyed by overly bright displays unless in direct sunlight, though.

The important question remains, though - is PWM harmful to people who are not sensitive to it?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017