Flicker-free tablets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jamon, Oct 22, 2014.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's one of those things where "nobody knows for sure exactly". -There has been research done here and there which indicates a variety of impacts, none of it good, but there's no official stance on it in terms of public health.

Some people have more robust bodies and brains than others, and so can shrug off toxins more easily. I'm fortunate to be one of those.

However, I tend to think that it's all cumulative, so I just make it a kind of hobby to make simple choices which reduce crap in my life which drains energy reserves. It makes a pretty huge difference in the long run.

In the case of electromagnetic fuzz of one kind or another, (I'd include screen flicker in that category), I do actually notice that I feel more brain-fogged and gross when I'm in a heavy load environment. -I also easily notice extra eye-stress when my screen is not set up with optimal settings. -Switching between a bright and high-blue screen and a dimmer red-shifted screen in the wee hours really has a palpable, immediate impact. Dropping into PWM is also something I *feel* like there's an increased stress with, but it might be a self-projected symptom at this point, so it's hard to tell. (There's no double blinds in my studio. :))

Headache sufferers indicate that there's obviously something going on, but you can probably ignore the whole thing with relative safety if you don't notice a negative impact. But if it's an easy shift to make, why not try and see if you feel better?

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. loz333

loz333 Pen Pal - Newbie

Great list! Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this together. I have just checked out many videos of the Dell Latitude 7350 13" convertible tablet, including one where the brightness is being adjusted to fairly low levels by the ambient sensor, and none of them show any screen flicker whatsoever, so there's another to add to the list.

www.laptopmedia.com/top-laptop-pwm-ranking-rated-by-negative-impact-on-eyesight/

^ This website has a huge database of PWM in laptops and some tablets too. It says the Lenovo Miix 2 10 and Lenovo Miix 3 10 models show no signs of PWM.
    EDIT: Lenovo X1 Tablet does have PWM it seems, as do all versions except the 10 inch model.

The Lenovo Miix 510 Pro is a no-no - notebookcheck says flicker at 90% at a very low frequency (which is a crying shame, becuase it would be a beast of a Core i tablet otherwise)
    The Dell Latitude 11 5175/5179 (the Skylake Core M version of the Venue 11 Pro) also flickers like the last one.

Also I think it would be great to link the above website in your original post, it's literally the most comprehensive list of info on laptops with PWM, and I'm sure many people who come here would find it useful.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    thatcomicsguy and Starlight5 like this.
  3. loz333

loz333 Pen Pal - Newbie

The Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 is an interesting one. The i5 version as reviewed on notebookcheck has PWM at full brightness, but the i7 version has a different screen installed and apparently PWM only occurs at brightness level of 10% or less. This is a full-power all-guns-blazing Core i tablet, so if you can manage to get the model with the "WST KL.1200W.002 WST2216" screen and not the "Panasonic VVX12T041N00" then you should in theory be one happy tablet owner!
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-...SA5-271-56HM-Convertible-Review.167947.0.html
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-...SA5-271-70EQ-Convertible-Review.169557.0.html

There is a Core M3 Skylake version that shows no PWM at all according to the review.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-Switch-12S-SW7-272-M3A0-Convertible-Review.168358.0.html

And the Lenovo Miix 700 with Core M skylake processor also only has PWM below 18% brightness.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Miix-700-Convertible-Review.158501.0.html

Can anyone else verify whether the notebookcheck PWM test holds up in reality? I heard some discussion about shutter speed and equipment used, but I've presumed until now that it's one of the best guidelines we have out there. There's one other website that I can remember does a PWM test in their reviews, I'll post it here when I can remember which one it is.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@Ammonite my Xiaomi smartphone doesn't have PWM. iPhone SE doesn't have PWM either.

5. pasharik

pasharik Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, does anybody know about ipad mini 4? It should be the same as mini 3, but can't find any info