Flex 4 1470 2-in-1 14"

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by alicez, Mar 31, 2017.

1. alicez

alicez Pen Pal - Newbie

Bought my Flex 4 several months ago and every so often I get a little pop-up at bottom right of screen saying something like "Lenovo Credential Needed."
    Just what is this and what do I have to do?
    I don't want to click on it and then find out I did something I should not have done or have signed-up for something I didn't want, etc.
    What do I have to do the next time I get that "pop-up?" What is it 'asking' for, etc.?

Can someone enlighten me?

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I saw you asked this over on the Lenovo support forum as well with no real response, probably because even Lenovo has no idea what the heck it's for.

My guess is that it's just a nonsense tracking program grasping for your attention for no good reason. Computers are pretty much the same between manufacturers, and nobody else needs a "Lenovo Credentials" program in their lives, so it's pretty much a given that you don't either.

The less people know about computers, the more likely this sort of junk is going to successfully ping the "Fear and Obey!" program in our brains, wasting our time and energy.

I'd hit "Ctrl + Alt + Del" (all at the same time), look at the list of running services, and see if you can't locate the program which is causing that little pop up to, um.., pop up. It might be called 'Lenovo credentials' or something along those lines. Then right click and tell it to stop running and never run again.

While you're at it.., if you're interested, there's probably a bunch of similar, utterly useless stuff also running in the background. -You can do a Google search for "Windows Services I don't need" to find long helpful lists of things you can safely turn off, with descriptions beside each for what they do and why they're probably pointless for you to be running. (Windows is designed to fill a diverse range of needs, so they run tons of stuff in the background 'just in case' which most users will simply never have call for, or if they realized were running would spit their drink and cry, "EXCUSE ME??".)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  3. alicez

alicez Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you.. Did you see the reply I received on that Forum? I really don't know what I was expected to do with their explanation, which was:

"Thank you for writing in to the Lenovo Forum - happy to have you here today.
    You can try setting the credentials for this device in the Windows Credential Manager:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-credential-manager
    You can locate the Credentials Manager by clicking the Windows start button and typing in "Credentials".
    Update us how it goes."

I don't know what they mean, plus I know very little about computers, etc.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ha ha. Yeah, I saw that.

I suspect they probably mean what they say, "locate the Credentials Manager by clicking the Windows start button and typing in "Credentials"".

Looks like you've got some choices and research options in front of you, what with me blathering on about crapware and how to disable it.

But honestly, you could probably safely just ignore/close that popup alert without consequence whenever it makes an appearance.

Good luck!