Flash Viewer

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by SimsHsia, Oct 26, 2007.

1. nexus7

nexus7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's a tough nut for the Brain's Trust.

I have the latest version Adobe Flash Player installed - v 9,0,47,0 - I have done this numerous times, and the Adobe page confirms this.

However, I have instances where sites do not recognize this ; one is Myspace where I get this:

Hello, you either have Java Script turned off or an old version of Macromedia Flash Player. Click here to get the latest Flash Player.

(I have latest JAVA turned on)

Have been totally unable to play any of their videos (youtube works fine)

What was more irritating was I was unable to log into a medical online seminar for the same reason - the site kept telling me I have an old version, so I missed the whole thing.

Anybody had the same thing? What to do / try?

Simon (thoroughly over this c**p):mad:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. snakebite2

snakebite2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Try it with a different browser.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi nexus7,

I installed the latest Flash player version on Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.8, then went to MySpace Video (beta) and attempted to play a video, and the message you describe appeared for only a second then nothing. So, I tried different browsers I have installed (Opera, Flock) and they all play the movie I visited in Firefox just fine.

Interestingly enough, I have the Adblock extension installed in Firefox, so I temporarily allowed Adblock to whitelist the page (not the site) and the video appeared and played just fine. When I un-whitelisted the page, the video did not appear and play. You may also have some conflicting extensions that conflict with MySpace, or something.

It's difficult to tell from your post what browser you are using or what extensions (if any) are installed to help you through the troubleshooting process. Personally, I work in an IT Department where we get the most vaguest questions such as, "The website doesn't work", "OK," I reply, "what website?" then spent about five minutes explaining to the caller to read back the URL back to me so I can check for myself. Ah, the joys of IT. :D

Anyways, could you reply back with: a.) What OS you are using; b.) what Internet browser you are using; and c.) what extensions (if any) are installed, this includes toolbars, etc. Or if you have resolved it, please let us know. Thanks! :)

4. jeannier

jeannier Pen Pal - Newbie

YouTube posted an announcement this afternoon, regarding this problem.

It's not you - it's them!!

Follows:

Users with ad-blocking software enabled may not be able to see videos due to a conflict with our flash detection code and may see this error; "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player." Our engineers are working on resolving this issue as quickly as possible. In the mean time, you may want to temporarily disable ad-blocking in your browser or security software.

Posted by Alex at 2:55 PM

Hang in there folks - the cavalry is on it's way! :)

5. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Indeed, however the difference is MySpace Video and YouTube. I'm pretty sure that MySpace will be working on a solution for this problem, just as YouTube has announced. However, I see YouTube videos just fine with Firefox + Adblock Extension + Latest Adobe Flash version; MySpace Video, however, needed to be whitelisted by Adblock in order to see the videos.