Fixing store app

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nnthemperor, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi guys, on my desktop pc with two accounts, the store app does not open on my side and I can't install apps but it is working perfectly well on the other account which is my wife's. Any idea what could be the problem? Thanks

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't encountered the issue you posted but I have hit another one with Store in Windows 10, the number of supported devices on an account in the Store and Onedrive links.

With Windows 8.0 the Store initially would only allow 5 devices on an Store account, just before the release of 8.1 the limit was bumped to 81.

Now we have Windows 10 and MS rolled back the Store to 10 devices on an Store account, which can be restrictive for a household with a kids and multiple desktop PCs, laptops and tablets. We had been managing the multiple systems in the house under 8.1 and a single account but as we updated systems to Windows 10 we started encountering error 0x803F81F5 when installing apps from the Store causing the removal of some devices from the Store account in order to install apps. I haven't seen a good solution or seen what the final effect will be on the usability of Windows 10 with larger numbers of systems. I am putting the acquisition of a Windows phone on hold until the impact of the new limits unfold.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I have hit another one with Store in Windows 10, the number of supported devices on an account in the Store and Onedrive links...>>

...Other users have run into the same problem. Microsoft Support has, so far, been unhelpful in terms of somehow getting the permissible number of devices on a single account increased.

And therein lies the current work-around; start another account and manage your extra devices from it. Not really fair, because you have to "re-buy" apps that I believe you should be entitled to from your original purchase, but that's where matters stand as of now. Of course, you should complain to Microsoft about this situation; maybe we can still get it changed...

5. rockhunter

That was a solution for Windows 8.0 at the beginning but it is less straight forward for Windows 10. After switching to another MS account The store reports only the ingle device but it still won't allow any apps to be installed just closes when you try without any error issued.

The free upgrade to 10 is starting to look like a Bait and Switch scam

6. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Now, that's just silly . . . .

7. rockhunter

No it's an opportunity for revenue for MS. The new OS capitalizes on much of the installed base of Windows devices being compatible with the "Free upgrade" and the devices run from desktop, laptop and 2 in 1, and tablets that now sell for no more than comparable android tablets, and phones that can all share much of the same application software. I would think that it will not be long before a significant portion of Windows users have 2 or even 3 or 4 (or more) devices each, and if they share an account it only takes a couple users to reach the current limit.

A maximum or ten devices with the "Free upgrade" to Windows 10 quickly creates pressure to increase the limit, and MS has open to them a number of ways to address the solution which are revenue generating solutions.

1. Set different limits based on Windows 10 version, Home at one limit, Pro at a higher limit, Enterprise at a higher still limit, ...etc.

2. Fee based limit classes one fee for a limit of 5 another fee for a limit of 25, etc. for a limits of 50, 100,....
    3. Or a fee per device charge, or for devices over a limit (10?).

Bottom line if MS does have a fee based scheme for the number of devices on an account that is less than the 81 that Windows 8.1 had then it sure looks like a Bait and Switch scam.

8. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And I repeat. No evidence of so-called bait-and-switch. And I doubt that many people are going to have dozens of Win10 devices . . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.