Fixes to some of my Windows 10 grievances

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lblb, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey thatcomicsguy,

It might be a Windows 10 build thing... I don't know, I've turned off all Win 10 updates as they were really making my life miserable.

So you've installed 7+ Taskbar Tweaker and found the "no_width_limit" setting? Once set, have you unlocked the taskbar in order to resize it?

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yep. I tried running it as "Administrator" too. No luck. Seems odd, because.., well, what? Did they change the way the registry works?

Luckily, if there's one thing these 1080p screens have to spare, it's sideways real estate, but it's still annoying. Is there a bible of all registry switches somewhere? -How do those magazine article authors find out about the secret toggles? Leaks from Redmond?

Whatever.

I've locked the OS from downloading any further updates as well, but I'm definitely working with the very latest edition.

3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah it's weird, it just works perfectly for me. And if you Google "no_width_limit", you can see that it's a quite popular fix.

7+ Taskbar Tweaker actually doesn't change any Windows registry values apart from its own. It instead does what it does by injecting through dll files and such. Black magic.
    In any case, when you set the vertical taskbar's width it should create an entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\7 Taskbar Tweaker\last_taskbar_width. Do you have that? Maybe you could also try to turn off UAC (which is how my system is set up)? Maybe you can also try disabling some of the toolbars on your taskbar (right-click -> Toolbars) and see if one of them is preventing the resizing?

As for learning the registry keys, a lot of it comes from leaks and historical knowledge of the registry. Also, there are a variety of tools that allow monitoring system changes. For example:
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/tracking-registry-and-files-changes-when-installing-software-in-windows/

Among these, I especially like RegShot. It very simply compares two "images" of the registry and puts the changes in a text file. So you can take an image of the registry, make any system change or install a program, then take a second image, then compare the two images to know what registry changes occurred. Super useful for a lot of the things I've been looking into with AutoHotkey. See:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot/
    http://www.howtogeek.com/198679/how-to-use-regshot-to-monitor-your-registry/

On a different topic: For your use of art programs, have you looked into a gesture program such as TouchMe Gesture Studio? Now that touch input is actually useful in Win 10 and that many programs now efficiently differentiate touch and pen inputs, the use of touch gestures can really take your productivity to the next level (and complement with your ol' trusty AHK toolbar).

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.