Five little questions and some information

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DragonGamer, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DragonGamer

DragonGamer Pen Pal - Newbie

Good day/evening Community,

Since a bit over a week I'm the proud owner of a Surface Pro 2 with 128Gb :)
    What I can say so far is that I'm absolutely impressed!

Being a hardware fetishist ;3 I ran a few benchmarks and burn tests. It was actually very surprising to see the CPU at 100% load not heating over 73° even after 10 minutes (reaching that temp after ~3 minutes)! And that's even more impressing taking into account that the clockspeed stayed between 1.9 and 2.2 Ghz. Doing a full load on the graphics the temp's quickly increased to up to 80° (actually wondering why the graphics core are heating that much more..) and caused the CPU to downclock (although it wasn't loaded). Yet the Graphic core clock stayed stable at 996 mhz (its max) though.
    Yet even at this heat the fans were barely hearable. At 1m distance my desktop PC was at idle far louder than this tablet.

All in all those all are partially a lot better values than you can expect from very most competitors of the SP 2, including Ultra-light Ultrabooks like the Sony Vaio Pro 11.
    MS definitely made a very well optimised device, in my opinion.

So that's enough information. Hope someone was interested, lol.

Now the questions:

According to some sources on the net it was said that the 128 Gb version has only about 89Gb of free space.. For some weird reason my SP had when I launched it the first time about 95Gb free.
    After installing all updates (Firmware, Windows and Apps) there are still 91Gb.
    Is that normal after all? Or is there some issue like that the recovery partition is not available for some reason on my device?

A benchmark test here: Review Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Tablet - NotebookCheck.net Reviews tells something concerning: That the graphical power would be reduced by 60% when used on Battery (compared to when its connected to the power supply) and that even on the high-power profile.
    That made me run Furmark's burn-in test on the SP 2. The results were fluctuating quite a lot. With powersupply it run a few dozen of seconds with 10 fps, then it seemed to slowly sink down to about 9 fps.
    On Battery it was usually about 7-8 fps but also rised up to 9.
    Now I wonder what's exactly on.. it concerned me that the german artikel said that on battery the power barely suffices for World of Warcraft and not anymore for the other games tested (Diablo 3 and F1 2012).
    For some reason I think that the graphic cores ran on "balanced" and not on high performance.. although they deny that...

Has anyone else made any tests to compare the power when connected to the net and when on battery?

Does someone know a free and compact Face-Recognition tool/app which can replace the password input for logging in?
    Is Windows even allowing custom-login screens? o:

I thought Windows 8 was enabling you to use Apps also in splittscreen horizontally _above_ eachother. How do you do that though? The apps always snap horizonatally _next_ to eachother ><

According that test up there, there should be the option to only disable the screen when pressing the power button (hopefully resulting in instant-usability when pressing again), but the only options Win 8.1 provides is Sleep or Powersave.
    Is there any workaround?

Thank you very much for any responses in advance! :)
    If anyone has a question about the SP2, I'm willing to try to answer xP

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. DragonGamer

Hmm.. nobody has anything to say? :(

3. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

I can help you with 1 and 4, I think.

1) The Windows 8.1 update is smaller in size than 8.0. It also included the ability for the Disk Cleanup utility to get rid of old upgrade archives - you can clear up extra gigabytes running it after you're all updated, so you definitely should.

4) Modern apps only snap side-by-side. 8.1 added a lot more flexibility to how you can split apps but they're still just side-by-side, also, app developers need to update their apps for the new flexibility.

4. DragonGamer

Thank you very much for the answers!

1. Wow, Win 8.1 is smaller than its previous version? Microsoft made the magic possible for the first time in their existence X3

4. Ahh, I see. Too bad :( I think for browsing and textwriting it would be far more useful to snap the apps above eachother than next to eachother >< Oh well.. for luck there's still the normal desktop :)

5. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

I think they'll have to eventually. 7-8" tablets are popular, and nice to hold in portrait orientation. It will definitely evolve!

6. DragonGamer

So, guess I answered Question Nr. 2 myself by using a more reliable benchmarking software than Furmark.
    3D Mark gains on ultimate a little over 4200 points on battery. With power connected it reaches almost 4400.
    That means a difference of less than 5%. No way 60% like in the test...

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...3. Does someone know a free and compact Face-Recognition tool/app which can replace the password input for logging in? Is Windows even allowing custom-login screens?..>>

...Regarding Question #3, Windows 8 / 8.1 features Picture Password, which I suppose constitutes a "custom-login screen."

Personalize your PC - Microsoft Windows

For facial recognition log-in, a simple Google search provides several potential apps. I have no personal experience with applications of this sort, so I can't make any recommendations...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.