First-time Battery Use on R1E

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jerelyn, Nov 25, 2007.

1. scratch

scratch Pen Pal - Newbie

So my R1E should be here in a few days (as many are starting to get theirs).

Anyone have any tips/opinions on the first few uses of the battery? With so many R1F issues I know there are some battery wear experts out there. What is the best way to use a new battery? Charge all the way, drain all the way? Charge, drain a bit, recharge? Any and all opinions and/or scientific information welcome!

2. w1nter

w1nter Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm currently in the process of conducting a review on the R1E, one thing you will notice is that with the battery the laptop seems to take a long time to charge from 96-97% and onwards, please be aware of this.

I'm not saying that this is a battery wear, as i dont want to jump to conclusions

3. cooljoe10

cooljoe10 Football Star(slotback)

when do you think you will be done your review, if its a good one that will seal the deal with me

4. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

Your right it's not battery wear. It is done deliberately in order to preserve battery life. If a Li-Ion battery is charged to quickly or too much it will break, or more precisely explode. Some companies use special techniques to have charging go faster but this adds to the cost of the battery and can increase battery wear.

5. Grinner

Grinner Pen Pal - Newbie

Also generally LiIon batteries charge very quickly up to 80% and then slow down. It's the same on any liIon battery (at least in my iPod, in my Camera and my external batterypacks). Completely normal and nothing to worry about. I also just got a new battery for my R1F and I've discharged it completely twice now with no extra wear, so maybe it's solved.

6. ivang

ivang Pen Pal - Newbie

Best thing to do first is run the battery calibration utility via the BIOS (F2 at first power on) and do so on all batteries individually; this helps ensure batteries are sync'd with OS; an extremely nice utility on Asus' portables. Also customize each power gear setting profile to your liking.

7. jerelyn

jerelyn Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll try the calibration utility tonight.

FYI, guys, when we were testing the battery's life for the review I just submitted, we did see it go from 0% wear to 3% wear in one full discharge. The battery itself is labelled R1F, so whatever batteries folks have been receiving from RMA's that work better...the ones in the R1E aren't them. At least not our two units. (The other unit experienced 1% wear from two discharges that were more gradual...2 hour, light use as opposed to 1 hour of BatteryEar Pro use.)

8. jerelyn

OK, we tried the calibration tool, and then some further tests.

Order of steps:

1. calibration of main battery
    - We noted that the wear went from 3% to 2%. The other laptop stayed at 1%.
    2. Run batteryeater again on machine with 2% wear to see if perhaps the calibration would help with future wear.
    - % did not change, but "fully charged capacity" went down by 99 mWh.
    3. Re-ran calibration tool
    - Fully charged capacity went down another 418 mWh

That's where we are right now. the battery situation is not very encouraging...at this speed, the battery life will probably be drastically reduced in just a few weeks of battery life, and the calibration utility so far has even contributed to the damage (since it discharges the battery fully to do the calibration).

Do you guys think there is any point in dealing with the vendor at this point, or should I just go straight to ASUS for a swap? I really do suspect that ASUS knowingly put old batteries out with the R1E, keeping whatever improved stock they have for those people who notice and contact them under warranty. A way to cut losses on the bad hardware.

Unless this is all in the motherboard, which would definitely suck. But hey, I knew this was a very real risk when I bought it, so I'm not crying.

I'd be very curious to hear what others find when they put their batteries through some tests.

9. lionfish42

lionfish42 Pen Pal - Newbie

Stupid question, as I have not received my R1E yet - so bare with me.

1. I thought came with (or has capabilities of running 2 batteries)? If that is true what is the batterylife when running both.

2. I had read that the R1F battery problem was solved and that they were replacing batteries. Is that true?

10. jerelyn

Don't know that yet...I've been more focused on running down the main one, since the secondary (which it does come with) has never been known to have problems. That, and I like having the DVD in. :)

I don't know. I read that many people were getting replacement batteries from ASUS that were finally holding up well, and not wearing down so fast. Whether it follows that ASUS is using these improved batteries in new units or not...I suspect now that they may not be. Especially since ASUS has never admitted to the problem. If they don't admit it, then they can keep giving out bad parts. That said, maybe I'm just the rare, unlucky exception. Hopefully others can weigh in soon.