First Tablet PC for UNI studies

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by EmL, Feb 13, 2019 at 8:37 PM.

1. EmL

EmL Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    <500€

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Notebook convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    Sweden, but if the keyboard is replaceable e.g. Thinkpad, it can be purchased within EU.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I currently own a Thinkpad which I like a lot.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    >3h

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Schoolwork/taking notes and it will be my only PC, so everything else except for heavy gaming.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Needs to be Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Office 365(Onenote/Word), Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Retro games <2010, Half-Life, KoTOR etc. Maybe a bit of Minecraft and the like.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Yes, but via cable MiniDP/DP or HDMI

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    I do not know, it will be my first tablet PC.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors?
    Glare is not important

3. Do you require a pen?
    Yes for note-taking, some doodling & Lightroom/Photoshop touch-ups (amateur)

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    I will install a SSD myself if possible, 8Gb ram minimum - plus if upgradeable or user-replaceable.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any?
    Big plus if ExpressCard or Thunderbolt equipped for eGPU capability.

Hello!

So this will be my first tablet PC helping me through 5 years of Biology in UNI. I will use it for note-taking during classes & for putting together projects.
    It will be my primary PC and only PC, therefore it has to be capable enough for every day use and the keyboard needs to be good enough for extended periods of typing.

I have been browsing through the stormi excel of Windows 8 and Windows 10 devices but that made me only more unsure of what to buy.

Considering I already own a Thinkpad and I do enjoy their aftermarket support & self-serviceability, I found the X230T to be perfect for my needs:
    Thinkpad-brand, Trackpoint, sweet keyboard, small(albeit thick), able to take some abuse and an ExpressCard for eGPU.

There's only one caveat, which to be honest did not even cross my mind me a bit until I started researching the world of tablet PCs; the screen resolution of 768p.
    I am finding conflicting reports around the web where some find it perfectly adequate and other not usable at all. Considering my needs, and my limited knowledge in the area I would love some inputs if that would be an issue.

Regarding the digitizer technology my mother has an Acer Spin 5 13.3" and to be honest I wasn't all that impressed by the pen input. Also I found the footprint of the laptop to be on the bigger side.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 1:36 AM