First look at the HP Slate 500, it's here! (updated w/ video)

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by heatlesssun, Dec 1, 2010.

1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

That actually looks like it is a straight HDMI to VGA adapter which would require hooking up through the dock. Something like this is probably more like what people are wanting (though i'm sure some are also fine with a straight up adapter for use with the dock). Another +1 for Monoprice :) I'm sure a similar adapter is like $2 at monoprice.

Linked item main features:

Features:
    Display Modes:
    Can easily Mirror the main display
    Extend left, right, above, or below
    Can be rotated left, right, or upside-down
    DVI , VGA and HDMI Support
    Maximum: 1280x1024 or 1400x1050 Digital (@60Hz 32-bit)
    Minimum: 1024 x 786 (@ 60,70,75,85Hz 32-bit)
    USB 2.0 Powered - Ultra Low Power
    Lossless Compression
    CRT, LCD, Projector Displays
    Standard and Widescreen ratio aspects
    High-Performance DDR Memory
    Uses a virtual driver
    Stackable by design with a small footprint
    Completely silent operation
    Onboard power and status indicator LEDs
    Portable, making it easy for travel

(this is the cheaper model, the more expensive ones support higher resolutions... monoprice also has youtube video links if you want to see more than the pictures on the site)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Telstar

Telstar Research Scientist

This is a special, not general, adapter cable...they have special HDMI configs on the Voodoo Envy line...if, and it is a big if, the HDMI on the slate is similar, that adapter cable would actually work. We do not know the answer to this...but it would be good if it did. Not great, mind you, because I have no intention of carrying a dock around to my presentations anyway.

As I understand this unusual adapter, it is an active adapter (drains power) *without* the ability to handshake sync signals. There is an HP driver required that does the translate. It is all very specific to HP and not a general adapter. If you look at the HP forums there are myriad complaints about trying to use this adapter on other HP laptops that do not support it: It only works on certain HP laptops.

4. ghost74

ghost74 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I've got my Slate, and so far I'm loving it!

Random Thoughts...

- It's a PC!! It has handled every application so far that I have thrown at it. I just keep in mind that it's basically a netbook, I bought it to replace my "yellow pad" with OneNote, anything else it does is a bonus.

- I am new to "inking" and touch interfaces and after tweaking some settings and playing with it last night I am becoming very comfortable with interacting with it.

- You definatly do not want to be reccomending this thing to anyone who is not "computer savvy".

- I find that I am most effective switching back and forth between touch and pen. This was a PITA until I discovered the N-trig "Auto" mode.

- I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del twice but I think it was my fault both times because I think I hit the power on button too many times. I didn't completely understand the flashing codes of the power LED. No problems since RTFM.

- I'm not sure I like the folio. I'm going to try it out some more and see. I think I can punch new holes for the camera and then have the option to turn it around.

- It appears that the plastic ring on my pen is fine. I would like the "right-click" button higher up, it is right where I rest my thumb when writing.

5. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

A shoe repair shop, like a boot shop, might be able to make short work of adding the holes in the folio. They should have the proper tools (punch press or punch tools) to do that in the leather. Should be easy for them to do nice and clean and I doubt it would cost much.

6. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Ok.. some videos of the slate being used with a few graphics apps...

Art Rage Pro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDbOLkaQXew
    Corel Painter 11: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knVzW4aO5eQ
    Photoshop CS3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH8apqS6ItQ
    Poser 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wox3ryPwXbE
    Autodesk's Sketchbook 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYgTNgLJ93k
    Strata Studio CX 5.5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDDzXlba2o

Sorry for the video quality - I've never done one of these before... I'll redo it later at higher resolution. But I though the artists in the group might like to get a quick sense of how well it works.

In all cases, the editing is done on the page in full page view, which should be the hardest way to edit (since the app has to swap in so many different parts of the picture as you draw). Most are 8"x10"x300dpi. The Photoshop one has 7 layers.

7. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

What about locking the gsensor, then using mobility center to set the rotation to secondary landscape. Would that work for you? Are there gsensor settings to allow the gsensor to put it in secondary landscape? Maybe a registry setting?

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The upsidedown case also lets you plug the power adapter into the bottom of the slate while it is in it's case. I normally charge it that way.

Bronsky:cool:

9. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Cyberlink PowerDVD 9 and 10 for BlueRay does not work on the Slate - needs a beefier video chipset. I had hoped it would use the Broadcom Crystal HD chip, but apparently not. Works fine for DVDs though - although you can watch DVDs using Media Center or Media Player so it's kind of overkill to use PowerDVD.

10. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can't find a live link for a touchcontrol download anywhere. Help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.