First look at the HP Slate 500, it's here! (updated w/ video)

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by heatlesssun, Dec 1, 2010.

1. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I have one at work. I'll try it when I get back to work on Wednesday.

2. Telstar

Telstar Research Scientist

I look forward to your findings.

These USB adapters look like they would be a huge power drain if they worked at all.

A related issue is that I am finding a lot of these laptop adapter solutions are not passive at all (nor standard), but have active circuitry. For example, the MacBook Air that I just got has a Display Port...connecting the VGA adapter to it drains battery (fortunately very little since the 320 M Graphics chip is a HUGE drain during HD or interpolated SD video..far worse than current reports..nearing 45%); the display port to VGA is not the passive cable that it looks like, it turns out. On the other hand, their nonstandard HDMI of some years ago *had* analog lines....very convoluted video out evolution just for Apple.

The issue is the fact that large conference facilities and auditoriums are universally VGA only at this point, so portable connections are required until everyone gradually settles on something. Projectors are expensive, and even with Dell et al. stating they are phasing out VGA for HDMI exculsively (Dec. 8 article), transition will take time.

3. TheWerewolf

Just tried an external slim DVD drive. On the internal USB not enough power to run the drive. Connected to the dock, runs fine and plays DVDs just fine.

Also tried an HD MP4 file, played with no problems.

Will try a BluRay disk soon.

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting, I've tried both an external HD and Blu Ray drive and they both worked without external power, I need to double check that. Also I've tried to get a Blu Ray movie to work. You need a software player like Arcsoft's TotalMedia and that didn't work for me, using version 3. Just got Version 5 but I've not tried it yet on the Slate.

If you get it to work please let us know how.

5. TheWerewolf

It's going to depend on each drive. This is the Asus Slim BluRay Burner. It comes with CyberLink's PowerDVD 10 software, which works beautifully on my Acer Revo, but that's a dual core Atom with an Ion graphics chipset.

6. TheWerewolf

Quick update on drawing applications.

I have n-Trig's WinTab driver installed.

Photoshop CS3 works fine.To test large documents, I created an 8"x10"x300 dpi document with 7 layers and tried quickly sketching and switching layers in full document view and it had no trouble keeping up. Pressure works.

Painter 11 had no problems keeping up, but I'm not sure it's recognising pressure.

Poser 7 is difficult to use because of the screen resolution, and it's unusable if you have full preview on, but if you switch to 'fast preview', it works fine.

ArtRage and ArtRage Studio Pro work very well.

AutoDesk Sketchbook 2010 also works very well.

Unless noted, all recognised pressure in the pen.

Strata Studio 3D CX works fine and even can be used in full render preview mods.

More on this soon. I'm going to make videos of all of these apps so you can see if it's good enough.

7. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just tried it again, used the Blu Ray player that HP sells for the tm2 and a WD Passport HD drive both in and out of the dock on battery of course and they both worked fine.

8. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for all the helpful info guys :)

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hooray..It runs photoshop!

10. TWACK

TWACK HP Addict

Has anyone tried the NP031AA#ABA-001 HDMI-VGA adpater off the HP website? Its only $39 US and says it converts D to A.

HP HDMI to VGA Display Adapter | HP® Official Store