First look at the HP Slate 500, it's here! (updated w/ video)

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by heatlesssun, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

VGA should be simple, just go from HDMI to DVI to VGA.

2. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

An update:

Just tried Windows Media Center with the Pinnacle HDTV Hybrid Pro TV Tuner stick. Works surprisingly well (most netbooks kinda choke on it). TV and Radio both work fine.

Alas, no ATSC digital channels here to try that on.

Thadwald: I don't know for an absolute fact it's fixed focus, but it doesn't seem to change in the Slate Camera app.

Steve S: Good points - I was thinking mostly from a perspect of 'standard' Windows behaviour. Wacom only supports two touch points, so the Slate is doing much better.

Very useful info on the converter cord. I did finally find a store that sold them (in the back under the counter) so I have a solution for now, but I really want to convert the dock cable to work with other power bricks.

Heatlesssun: I'm honoured - and I think the thanks has to go to Rick, HPCustExp, Julio and the Carlosi. Fair is fair.

And I found an USB-Ethernet adapter.

3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the info on the TV tuners Werewolf, I've got a pair of those exact turners in my main desktop machine and I've got couple of spare Hauppauge USB tuners I should try out.

Also Werewolf I'd appreciate hearing of your experience with inking text. There's this annoying but intermittent issue I see when I lay my Slate flat on a desk of other surface where the pen will jump down and then back up. It doesn't happen everywhere either, it happens in my office but I've not seen it in my dining room. And the jumping only seems to occur while running on battery. My office is loaded with electronics and N-trig digitizers are apparently sensitive to external electromagnetic interference. It's the ONLY issue of any impact and if I cm figure this one out I'll be happy as a clam because the Slate is such a wonderful writing tablet.

Thanks for the sharing, it's nice to see the community grow if be it slowly.

4. Telstar

Telstar Research Scientist

It is actually not simple at all. HDMI and DVI are digital .. there is no analog signal to route to VGA at all. The device to convert digital HDMI to VGA from LOGIC costs $150. HDfury. This device does the necessary resolution conversion by upscaling and downscaling, as well. The cables you see all over the place do no conversions, and cannot connect standard HDMI output to VGA projector inputs.

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

This approach makes sense. Why wouldn't this work?

6. Telstar

Because both HDMI and DVI are digital. VGA is analog. It is like trying to plug a digital signal cable into a speaker...you need digital to analog conversion.

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

What you say makes sense too. But isn't it possible to convert HDMI to DVI? Isn't it also possible to convert DVI to VGA? So, by logic, the three could be chained.

Mind twister...

8. Telstar

HDMI to DVI is trivial..they are digital video signals and you just need routing basically. Either to VGA requires conversion of digital signal to analog...including issues of scaling etc.

There's no free lunch here...digital is digital and analog is analog and going between them requires silicon ....

[The thing is that the chips used in the slate have analog output signals that could be at that dock port...hence we need some wiring diagrams to see if there are analog VGA signals there....maybe......maybe not. Rick???]

9. dgoodisi

dgoodisi Scribbler - Standard Member

You are thinking of those DVl to VGA adapters that ship with many new desktops and video cards?

Those only work because the DVl port in question is also sending an analog signal alongside the digital.

An HDMI port does not include an analog signal.

I am using a USB video card to connect to external monitors and projectors. These can be had for as little as $50 US.

10. Telstar

Yes, there is DVI-D, DVI-A, and DVI-I.

Have you used a USB on the slate...I fear there is not enough horsepower to do SD video aka DVD video.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.