First look at the HP Slate 500, it's here! (updated w/ video)

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by heatlesssun, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

wow, the review from that kid (YouTube - HP Slate 500 Hands On!) was useful for something after all!

You're right thadwald, according to the video putting the power switch on lock locks the orientation.

2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wolf,
    Wow...so cool.
    Is there a way you could fill out the satisfaction survey thread in this forum when you are done ?

Thanks.

3. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

. I often want to rotate the Slate and NOT have it rotate the screen to match (I tend to do a lot this while drawing)

If you push the power slider up towards the lock icon it will lock the screen rotation.

Rick

4. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Yep, several people have pointed that out. I didn't think of it because on most of the Tablet PCs I've used that mechanism locks the touch and pen out so you don't accidentally use the screen... so it didn't even occur to me.

Thanks!

5. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

Great review, look forward to the drawing software review, especially the processing power and multi-tasking.

6. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

I was disappointed to read that the rear camera is fixed focus. I had hoped to use it for taking pictures of class handouts, as I sometimes do with my phone.

7. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another button tip, holding down the "Home" button for several seconds turns off the display backlight. Pressing it again turns it back on.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The touch sensor can handle four points, which is really more than you'll likely ever need. Most touch gestures use one or two fingers...>>

Were: Yes, but if you install N-trig's N-act app (Version 1.26 or later), you'll find a few useful three- and four-finger gestures. Also, some of Microsoft's applications in the Touch Pack require up to four-finger capability...

N-trig | Support | Downloads (Choose Win7, then HP, then Slate 500 to get hotlinks for the current downloads)

Download details: Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7

<<...the actual power cord is a three prong plug...>>

...Not the most elegant solution, but you can convert to a two-prong NEMA 1-15 plug and cord using the following converter. The product illustration isn't great, but you get a retracting 2-conductor AC line cord and a C7 ("three-prong") to C5 ("two-prong") adapter that plugs into the power brick (look at the product images):

Zip-linq Retractable Notebook / Laptop Power Kit (C5/C7) 2 and 3 Prong ZIPPWRNB - Cyberguys.com

You can also purchase a short 12" power cord or just a NEMA 1-15 plug!:

12" Cord: Cyberguys.com - 121 2578 has returned the following search results

Just C7/Plug: Cyberguys.com - 141 0180 has returned the following search results

I use this set-up on my TC1100 AC adapter and it works really well...

9. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Congratulations! You are now a member of an elite squad known as the Slate Team. <appropriate theme music follows/> :D

Overall I agree your review though I have no problem with the portfolio case or the AC adapter. So the portfolio is real leather? I was thinking it was synthetic for some reason.

I'd love to see what you think about the Slate's artistic abilities as that's not my bag and I like to get a better understanding of just how well the 500 works for this purpose.

Congratulations again. You must have been nice this year for Santa to treat you so well!:D

10. Telstar

Telstar Research Scientist

YES PLEASE!! Hp pay attention. We really need a way to get audio and video out, including VGA. Most conference rooms do not have HDMI or DVI for their projectors yet.

Thanks for the detailed review!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.