First look at the HP Slate 500, it's here! (updated w/ video)

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by heatlesssun, Dec 1, 2010.

1. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just some simple unboxing pics for now, I'm getting a flood of requests for information, 10,000 foot overview, solid device. Inking for handwriting recognition works well, it's pretty fast and web browsing in IE 8 works great. A LOT more to come, hold tight!:D

Intresting packaging, two empty boxes in on either side:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Video Review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBa_95nJukQ

12/2/10
    One correction that I figured out after I posted this and I need to add an annotation to the video, you don't need TouchControl on the Slate as the N-trig driver supports dual mode where the pen AUTOMATICALLY disables touch and to re-enabled touch all you have to do is double tap with your finger anywhere on the screen.

Overall the inking experience is good but there are a couple of quirks as I mention in the video with spurious clicks and pen jumps when running on battery. I've seen the same behavior on the HP tx2 that also has an N-trig digitizer. It's a little annoying but I don't think that it's a major issue at the moment at least.

If other Slate users confirm that that see this problem I'd love to hear from you.

12/1/10
    Sorry to disappoint you but is my first post from the 500 with the pen! It is not quite as good overall as the tm2 but it's pretty solid, very much like that tx2.

It also is a little more sensitive in terms of palm rejection but not too bad, once again not as good as the tm2.

A few early observations. Inking can be a little tricky in automatic mode so I've installed TouchControl for extended inking sessions. The device can get a little warm while charging, nothing uncomfortable just on the warm side. But the speed and accuracy of the pen is pretty good, this device will I think serve it's purpose as a note taker well, just got Office installed and about to fire up OneNote.

Trying to answer questions in no particular order:

1. Performance: Seems to be very solid get's a 2.7 on the CPU but oddly only a 5.2 on this hard drive, I'll retest that. I'm synchinh my OneNote notebooks now, pretty big it's going to take a while longer before the machine frees up

2. The Pen: Good news bad news, the pen works pretty well but in auto mode the palm rejection doesn't seem that great. There's a little 3rd party add that many of you are familar with called TouchControl, I use it as well on my tm2. If you start an extended inking session you want to use that. Now I've not calibrated it yet so it might be better but out of the box the accuracy of both pen and touch is great. On other note about the pen, it's very easy to hit the mouse button and it does seem to skip a bit while using the TIP but not in OneNote, nothing bad and as I said turing of touch will inking improves the experience considerably. Yes, it does use a battery as the pics show but it is a comfortable pen, I think it's going to be a great note taker.

Update:

A little bad news to report about the pen. I'm getting false clicks on a regular basis, I've seer this issue with other non-Wacom tablets I've had in the past like the tx2 but it's intermittent. I'm putting in a call to HP shortly.

Kind of a bummer as everything else about the unit is sweet.

Without the physically touching the screen ink will be generated. After some calibrating and resetting the pen it seems to be better. I'm inking a lot with it now and will report back as I'm going to ink some work documents and see how that goes. Keep your fingers crossed.

Update 2:
    The pen seems to have settled down as well. Streaming my recorded TV from Media Center works great. I hope to have my first video review up this evening, one more real work task I need to get done first but I'm feeling a little better now as I've inked the hell out of and overall pretty good but still a little weirdness.

The pen is still quirky, the clicking issue is much better but now I'm seeing a jittery pen problem which is another well documented problem with active pens.

3: Battery: it's still charging, seems to charge slowing but them I'm doing a bunch of installs so nothing on that yet.

Update:
    Some good news to report about the battery life. Looks like HP was honest. Been on battery since 2:40 PM EST using the device for inking and browsing with the device going to sleep a couple of times for about five minutes over the last almost 3 hours and the battery is at 57% and I'm at 70% brightness. If the pen issues get sorted out this machine will be awesome.

Some more good news. It does indeed appear that HP was honest about the battery life. I'm going on 4.5 hours of near continuous inking and web browsing and my battery is at 20% still!

It looks like HP was honest about the battery life at least when it comes to general usage, I got right at 5 hours inking, web browsing and doing other desktop activities. Didn't do a lot of video play back but I'd say that it looks like HP was being honest for the most part.

4: Screen: Not bad, not the iPad but solid viewing angles, works well in all orientations though some a better than others.

The oddest this of all about this device is the silent and fanless design, it's DEAD silent. Does mean that it does get warmer especially while charging but not close to hot or uncomfortable and it should be that 5 hours of battery life should be realistic.

Tons more to do I know, I'll try to keep it coming!

But this is a GREAT device make no mistake about it however the pen may be a weak link. Not unusable but not top notch either.

2. TRICH911

TRICH911 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you! keep em coming. Its the only thing that keeps me going since I got another delay email today....

3. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yeah - right - fess up, YOU bought the first 5,000 didn't you! :D

5. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh, you are teasing us.

6. dstrauss

His name was Gypsy Rose Lee in a prior life. :p

PS - are those boxes and inserts eerily Applesque or is it just my imagination? :confused:

7. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

tease

;) :)

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

OMG an hour between posts ... Fail!

9. dstrauss

OK - did we scare him away...or did the boss put him in the time out corner?

10. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A few early observations. Inking can be a little tricky in automatic mode so I've installed TouchControl for extended inking sessions. The device can get a little warm while charging, nothing uncomfortable just on the warm side. But the speed and accuracy of the pen is pretty good, this device will I think serve it's purpose as a note taker well, just got Office installed and about to fire up OneNote.

11. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

What are the Windows Experience Index numbers (right click on My Computer, Click on Rating: Windows Experience Index).

12. dstrauss

You 'da man...

Curious - is a TouchControl a third party utility or can you just use teh N-Trig panel (read somewhere to use manual mode and just double tap when you need touch)

13. jgjackson

How much free space was there after first boot?

14. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is that a AAA battery with the Pen?

Well, I guess that solves the question of weither it was a battery pen or not
    Odd though, given all the N-Trig drivers posted, I was almost certain it was going to be the battery free pen. Prehaps the lack of hovering/crap palm rejection in those early prototype/test videos was just because they didn't have the drivers installed.

I know your swamped but...
    1. Does Hovering work?
    2. Does Palm Rejection work?

3. I don't supposed you could install Photoshop CS4 or CS5 and see how well the brush tool works as far as pressure and if there is any lag?

15. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

How smoothly does the atom perform?

16. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Two big questions - does the pen support pressure?
    Is the power cable hard wired into the power brick - ie: is the cable that goes from the brick to the slate detachable or is it one unit.

I ask because getting a second power supply one for the office, one to carry, is going to be painful for a while.

17. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Just sent engadget a note that the HP Slate has landed!

18. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

One question. Will it blend? :D

19. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I think the battery version is to reduce power consumption. In a normal EM pen, the screen has to keep sending pulses of radio out for the pen to use as power, that's a lot of energy being burned up. By putting the power in the pen, the pen just has to send a much lower powered pulse to the antenna under the screen.

Also, he doesn't need to install Photoshop (which wouldn't work unless he installed the WinTab driver from nTrig), he can use Microsoft Paint to test it - the Win7 version is pressure aware.

20. jgjackson

Actually, Photoshop doesn't use the microsoft pen driver. It uses a completely different driver called the wintab driver. Until recently (as in a few months ago) neither Wacom nor Ntrig had reliably working wintab drivers for Tablet PCs.