Firefox on tx2000/Vista Ultimate 64bit

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jellycow, Mar 23, 2008.

1. jellycow

jellycow Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anybody else have problems with running Firefox on their tx2000?

I have Vista Ultimate 64bit...and it simply will not stay running. I've tried variations of Firefox 3.0 betas 32 bit, Firefox 3.0 pre (Minefield) 32 bit, and Firefox 3.0 pre (Minefield) 64 bit. NONE of them stay running. I guess I can fall back to Firefox 2.0, but I doubt that that'll stay up either.

Anybody else with this problem or am I the only one?

2. spazzyjazzy

spazzyjazzy Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have my tx2000z but I did have a 64 bit OS on my desktop before and there are many problems with running the usual programs we use almost everyday. Not many home use programs are designed for 64 bit operating systems yet and their 32 bit versions may or may not work. I remember Adobe flash would just not work for me so basically about half the internet sites that i usually go to were just not working. I don't know whether firefox has a 64 bit version but if your problem persists I highly suggest getting a 32 bit version of windows

3. c.e.y.a

c.e.y.a Pen Pal - Newbie

I have no problem with firefox running in vista ultimate 64bit. Actually, it is the browser I am using the most.

4. wctkdman

wctkdman Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using firefox 2 with Vista Ultimate 64. No problems here.

5. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

dont really understand why people get vista ultimate unless they really really need vista64bit

and i dont understand why people get vista64bit unless they really really really need more then 3.2GB mem for running a huge DB server or something like that

few 64bit apps and the fact that 64bit apps dont really run much faster then their 32bit counterparts
    and it only being able to use ms tested drivers
    is a turn off in general

believed that 64bit would take off with vista where it failed with xp64 but so far i've been wrong

6. jellycow

jellycow Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried Firefox 2 and it seems like it's stable and I don't have any problems. Crossing my fingers. But variants of Firefox 3 (both 64 and 32bit) still crashes...I guess that's why it's beta. It's probably more to do with AMD processor than Vista 64 bit. I'm gone through the bugzilla records and I see few notices already.

I use 64 bit because I haven't run into any 32 bit software that I can't run just yet. Firefox is in alpha/beta so it doesn't quite count. After boot, my Vista takes about 1.8 GB of RAM. That's crazy. But when I run Photoshop or variant of Eclipse on Java 64 bit (no 64bit plug-ins, but they do have 64bit Java), it makes a world of difference with that extra 0.8 GB of RAM. I usually don't do that in my tx2000z...I do that on my desktops, but having the options to tinker with it away from desk is great. I also like the fact that when one of the 32bit programs crash, which they just do normally, it does not take the machine down...since it's in emulation mode. It tends to recover from it lot better. I even like the signed-driver only on 64bit as well. I'm sick of bad drivers destabilizing my system...if it's gonna help with that, I'm all for signed drivers.