Firefox crashing and Data Execution Prevention settings

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by PCgirl, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCgirl

PCgirl Pen Pal - Newbie

So my Firefox crashes and closes down all the time. I mean, ALL THE TIME!
    I got a little pop up saying that it may have to do with Data Execution Prevention settings. So I checked it out and it says that DEP shuts down programs that may be using memory incorrectly to prtoect the computer from secutiry and virus threats.

It says that I can choose to turn off DEP for certain programs. Is it wise to do this for Firefox or will that open up the computer to a possible virus that may slip through Norton?

Or should I just try re-installing Firefox?

Thanks.

2. zeromeus

zeromeus Pen Pal - Newbie

My experience with FireFox is TERRIBLE at launch. I should have learned from the last time to WAIT for updates. Last time 2.0 came out, I got a browser that crashes like crazy. Now 3.0 came out with the same problem. So now I'm stuck with an unstable browser, once again. Gotta stick with IE for now... until Firefox is cleared of bugs.

3. Nyture

Nyture Scribbler - Standard Member

You inadvertently named your problem. :) Norton. Uninstall it and get a decent Anti-Virus like AVG. Not only is it free, but it doesn't go about installing viruses or spyware and it doesnt slow down your computer to molasses speed like Norton does. Ive tried Norton 3 times, always the same experience and finally after doing a LOT of research found AVG and my computers have always worked very nice since then. No problems.

4. billycat

billycat Pen Pal - Newbie

I must admit, I have yet to run into any problems with firefox 3.0. But then, I uninstalled Norton the minute I got it.

5. tn1

tn1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Alot of HP tablet owners have been running into problems with Firefox 3, me included. It seems to be tablet related not entirely norton faults. I am testing out the new beta release. Follow the link if you want to try it too.

http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/07/firefox-3-crash.html

6. PCgirl

PCgirl Pen Pal - Newbie

I just uninstalled Norton and am trying AVG and AdAware instead for now.
    And Firefox hasn't crashed yet... ;)

Cool!

7. PCgirl

PCgirl Pen Pal - Newbie

^^^Thanks for the info everyone!

8. zeromeus

zeromeus Pen Pal - Newbie

I also uninstalled NOrton the minute I received my tablet. My Firefox browser crashes whenever I use hotmail or yahoo mail.

Again, I think Firefox is just buggy since it's very new... only a few weeks old with no update yet... I'm talking about firefox 3.0. 2.0 worked great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.