Fingerprint

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by in4mer, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I find it extremely annoying that I have to scan my finger 15 000 times to log in to the machine. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I think the TC4400 fingerprint reader was much better than this one.

2. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Why even use it?

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

You didn't say which TPC you have, I'm guessing a 2700 series.

I find it takes a little practice, and if I have not used mine in a while it takes me a couple times to remember how to do it right. I like the way it shows a picture on the initial log-on so you know how badly you got the previous try. On wake-up, it can be more stubborn and no picture to tell how bad I did.

On my Gateway, it is very stubborn and can take multiple try's no matter how slow and careful I am. I find on my Gateway that wetting the finger tip slightly helps immensely. Occasionally I need to do this on the 2730 too.

4. lolland

lolland Pen Pal - Newbie

My fingerprint reader (2740p) works perfectly every time. Call to get it replaced.

5. digital-doc

digital-doc MedicalTabletPC

The 2740P is a very secure machine by intent. The HP security tools are adjustable with respect to levels, as well as the number of swipes needed for the reader. The reader was the most difficult I have ever used but once complete, it is easy to log on. There are a few caveats like making sure your finger is warm and swipe all the way from the crease to the tip just under the nail. This reader is not looking for the middle of your finger pad like other readers.

Recently, I had to reinstall an application that I had previously installed BEFORE, I installed my FP reader. The application refused to work until I reinstalled with the security tools disabled! It took me days to figure this out because there were no pertinent error messages suggesting a security issue but instead only a network path error!

6. lolland

lolland Pen Pal - Newbie

Again, I'm not really sure it needs to be that way. I just swipe however it goes and it usually reads it; sideways, diagonally, straight, whatever. I've only had it fail once and I think because I only had half my finger on the pad.

Go to the HP PT Admin Console, go to the Administrative mode, expand Devices, go to Fingerprints, go to the Sensitivity tab. I'm on Medium-High. Are you guys on a different setting?

Also, a great way to see what the fingerprint is reading is to enable the pre-boot security feature. It can be done there in the Admin console. The pre-boot environment has an annoying beep that I cannot seem to disable, but it shows you the fingerprint reader image which can be helpful in diagnosing. It'll also boot you straight to your desktop which is kind of neat. If anyone can figure out how to disable the beep, I'd use it full time!

7. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I've set everything low and it just seems so much more difficult than my previous tc4400 where it was usually good with a scan or two.

8. lolland

lolland Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you tried recreating your initial scans? What power-mode is your fingerprint reader on? (Mine is on 'Optimal')

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.