Fingerprint Reader Problem - HELP!

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by lovelaptops, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

After so much waiting, I finally got my replacement 2740 with an SSD and been loving it, only to find that the fingerprint reader is problematic. I have had a lot of HP machines with FP readers and really know how to swipe them to enroll and use them, but it's been taking 50-75 swipes to get a fingerprint enrolled, and then of course it almost never works to log on, because it's so fussy.

I'm afraid this is a hardware problem - either a bad sensor or the sensor is misaligned with the opening on the side, meaning sending back for a replacement (there is still time in my 30 days on the new one) seems the only solution.

Anyone know of a software solution to mis-calibration of the FP reader? I so don't want to send this one back!

Thanks.

2. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

Not sure if true (disabled fingerprint on my 2730p), but i heard that you're suppose to only "touch" the reader with the finger/fingertip and not "swipe" it.

Weird, yes. But kind of makes sense...in a weird way.

3. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I think I had the same problem with you. What I did was i had originally used my index finger but I read in the other thread I created about this, to use your middle finger. That actually fixed my problem so I went from 35% first scan login rate, to about 95% first scan login rate.

Added:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-elitebooks/34215-2740-fingerprint-scans.html

That's ironic. Your suggestion fixed my problem. I hope the same suggestion fixes your problem. :)

But seriously. I had the same problem you have. I would scan the finger prints to enroll them 30 times before I gave up but your suggestion with the middle finger, worked!

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for the help. I actually found yet another potential source of the problem and it worked like a charm for me before I got to see these ideas. It turned out that somehow the reader software thought I already had enrolled my index and third finger (I hadn't, honest! :), so I had to uninstall the HP Protect tools software and reinstall it with a "clean slate" on fingerprint enrollment. It worked perfectly - 2 swipes and it enrolled my index finger and third finger. I believe there is an easier way to empty the fingerprint register and restart, but I couldn't get it done without uninstalling the Protect Tools software overall.

Oh, and, BTW, it turned out that each time I swiped my finger and it registered that it had not enrolled successfully (lights up red for a sec or two) there was a little flash of text that said: "this fingerprint already registered."

Strange stuff, but so useful to have that FP reader for logon and websites. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.