Finepoint vs Wacom / Gateway CX210 vs Asus R1F

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Psych, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desdamon

desdamon Scribbler - Standard Member

So its coming down to the final choice and i've basically found two comparable models with a few subtle differences.

basically it comes down to these 3 components - and the gateway wins 2 out of 3 . . . but the entire reason i'm getting a tablet is for the wacom functions in photoshop

----------------------------------
    Wacom digitizer (good!)
    VS
    Finepoint digitizer (bad? - is the Finepoint really that bad for pressure sensitivity and responce time?)

6 cell battery (bad? - battery thread scares me in the Asus forum)
    VS
    12 cell battery (good!)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (bad! - not good for games / maya 3d software)
    VS
    ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 64MB (good! - best videocard available on tablets)
    ----------------------------------

--------------------
    Asus R1F-K049E
    --------------------

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz
    LCD Size & Res. 13.3" WXGA 1280x800 Color Shine - WACOM
    Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    Optical Drive 8x Super-Multi DVDRW Dual layer
    MEM. Included 2048MB DDR2 667MHz (1Gx2)
    Hard Drive 120GB 5400RPM SATA
    Batt. Type /Run time Li-Ion 6 Cell
    Bluetooth YES
    Finger Print Reader YES
    Color / Weight / Height 4.2lbs/12.5” x 9.1” x 1.4”
    CARRYING BAG & MOUSE Carry case & Bluetoothmouse included

--------------------
    Gateway C210
    --------------------

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7400 (2.16GHz, 667MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache)
    14.0" WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1280 x 768 max. resolution) - FINEPOINT
    ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 64MB
    2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules)
    100GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    8x Multi-Format Double Layer DVD Writer (DVD±R/±RW/CD-RW)
    Primary 12-Cell Lithium Ion battery
    Gateway Protective Carrying Bag

--------------------------

GUYS PLEASE HELP . . . i dont want to regret my choice . . . because odds are i wont be able to return the gateway . . . i live in canada . . . i think i can get ahold of the Asus here in toronto though.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can still get pressure levels using Finepoint Tablets so don't let that influence you.

3. desdamon

so why do people hate Finepoint so much . . . is it because the pen use's a battery? i've herd that it doesn't work with pressure sensitivity to well . . . not working in some apps.

do you know if this has been solved at all with vista?

i think getting a second Finepoint pen would be a definate . . . just incase one of them starts to fail.

i've looked really hard to find some decent video of the Finepoint pen in action . . . maybe i should post in the Gateway forum.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You really do need a dedicated Finepoint user here to give you first hand experience (come on guys).
    However, in the meantime ~ Finepoint do give you P.S. in Photoshop but it's not as good as a Wacom Tech machine.

I used to be under the misconception that Finepoint did not support P.S. until I was informed otherwise.
    Basically what you need is a 'Shim'.
    See here for the 'Shim' required in Photoshop.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

That's one of the major reasons; sometimes the pen will cease to work, thus a replacement of the pen is required.

Pressure sensitivity doesn't work with Photoshop, but there's a SHIM file one could download from the Finepoint website for Photoshop CS2 only. ArtRage works just fine with the Finepoint digitizer regardling pressure sensitivity.

Definitely a good call, a person I know who has a CX210X hasn't had any problems just yet, but primarily because he doesn't use the pen as much, he uses it only for his Physics course.

Trying the pen out, the response time was very good. The weight of the pen was quite nice, felt like one of those executive pens. The writing experience was smooth, and I enjoyed the experience - feels almost like writing with one of those very expensive ballpoint pens on a pad of paper.

6. desdamon

this makes me feel a little better . . . i guess im just really worried that i might make a bad choice that will cost me $2000 . . . i've never ordered something that expensive over the interweb.

BUT . . .

do you know if CS3 works with the SHIM currently on the site?

7. desdamon

http://forums.realgfx.net/ar/t5371.htm

"As for that Shim for CS3, to get my pen pressure to work.. the defualt one for CS2, works for CS3.. SWEET!"

apparently CS3 has pressure sensitivity up and running

8. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The finepoint pen is perfect! I just had to calibrate in all four orientations.
    You may have to just play with the calibration a few times and then you are set for a long time.
    It is sensitive, very responsive , smooth,accurate(the tablet features in Vista are truly great). The pen is light and feels like a real pen. It is easily stored and equally easily accessible.
    It draws really nicely. I am not sure about the CS4 capabilities since I don't have that program yet.

I don't know why people are trashing finepoint. I did not get a replacement pen. If you get a 3-yr warranty, that should cover it.
    Ask the sales rep . to be sure.

9. LxMike

LxMike X61 Canadian Owner

the finepoint pen don t have an eraser, it can be annoying if you take note in a rush

10. desdamon

the CX210 seriously doesn't have an eraser on it? that seems wrong . . . how do you correct mistakes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.