Finding the right drivers for an old-ish tablet (to enable portrait mode)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by KidDynamic, Oct 9, 2009.

1. KidDynamic

KidDynamic Sketch & Doodle

I have a few-years-old Toshiba Satellite R15-S829. It's a decent machine, although slow and heavy. I'm soon going to be getting an upgrade soon (probably the Lenovo x200 multitouch), and in anticipation of that, I decided to do a test install of the Windows 7 RC on my current tablet.

Everything works great! Wacom pen functions are good, I'm liking the way it handles the pen (the new pen icon instead of a mouse arrow is nice).

EXCEPT I can't get it to do any kind of panel rotation (to portrait mode) -- the button on the bezel doesn't work, and it doesn't automatically rotate when I do the twist.

I suspect it's the video card driver. Win7 recognizes it as a generic S-VGA card, which, I think, disables lots of the features it would otherwise have. My understanding is that this unit has an Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (855GM?). Does anybody know of a solution to this conundrum?

Thanks,
    Seth

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

windows 7 never detected a driver through windows update??

3. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It might be the graphics, in which case you might be out of luck. The drivers for the 855 chipset were never made by Intel, and while there are hacks out there and wild fantasies of nerds who believe that Intel is going to release a 855 driver for Windows 7, I think the writing is on the wall. Intel has moved away from this driver and no longer intends to support it due to it's age.

Before you give up you might try downloading the Toshiba value added package for vista and see if that works. If you can't find one for the R15 you should be able to use the one from the Tecra M4 to get the job done.

4. TabbedOut

I would imagine not. I just did a fairly in depth search and it seems that this chipset is just not supported any more. What he experienced with Win7 recognizing his graphics as a generic SVGA seems to be a common problem and it doesn't look like there is a good workaround for it.

5. KidDynamic

I've run it a few times, including the Troubleshooter, but it never finds a specific driver.

However, doing more research, I found news that the Vista driver should work. I found a copy of the driver online and installed it, and now Win7 recognizes it. I've also manually installed the Toshiba Rotate Utility (Vista version) and all the other Toshiba Vista utilities for this unit (half of them failed due to wrong OS). But still no rotate capability.

What's strange is that I can access the screen orientation settings in the Tablet settings of Win7, and it's all set up correctly. I also linked the proper button to a screen rotate, and everything, but no go. :(

6. TabbedOut

so it does not rotate at all (when in tablet mode or when you press the button to force it)? Is there an option to change the screen rotation from within a control panel or desktop setting?

7. KidDynamic

I wish. I've been looking, but there's nothing that I can see to directly command a rotation. There's not even a portrait-mode in the resolution settings, like there was back in XP. Hmmmm.

I've installed a bunch of Vista stuff, and after a reset, I've got some problems starting up. It's attempting a repair. I have a feeling this is going to take awhile.

Good thing I backed this up!

8. TabbedOut

lol, keep at it!

9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You're going to have to edit the inf to do rotation.

What i'd advise doing, is to look at your xp driver (extract it) and compare with the driver you found.

I will check on my current intel card to tell you the rotation strings and repost. Rotation is handled by the graphics driver.

for my card the x3100 the inf file has the following

try copying and pasting that inside the inf of the driver you found.

10. Oracle

Oracle CompSci Robotics Graduate

Just checking: you've tried the "rotate screen" button in the windows mobility centre?