Finally! A Surface Studio monitor...clone :P

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marty, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not sure if you guys saw this yet, but there's a Chinese company Sefree launching a Studio clone called the "Apollo":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Comes in matte black too!
    [​IMG]
    Wincentral quotes a launch date of December. As for specs, the Kickstarter page details two flavours: an AIO that comes in 32" size, and standalone monitor (the "Lite" version) at 27". Both are touch and pen enabled!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pricing also seems quite reasonable, especially for the monitor version:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ports:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naturally, I was skeptical of the build quality, display, and pen performance, but surprisingly Lisa @MobileTechReview actually vouched for all three! (Yes, she got her hands on a review sample somehow. Lisa, it seems you're big in China! ;))

So @2:40 she comments how the zero-gravity hinge is actually comparable to the Surface Studio. And @3:06 she praises the pen accuracy and pressure curve. (It may be a UC-Logic digitizer and Sefree says the pen barrel will be reduced in size for the final version).

Screen specs are also surprisingly solid:

[​IMG]

So I'm not sure what to say, but it looks like this is a well-built Surface Clone that actually delivers! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Provided the Pen is indeed smaller for the final product.....I would very much consider that monitor to replace my aging 21ux Cintiq. UC-Logic I believe is reverse engineered EMR.....so....perhaps that's how they were able to get the price down, since the Pro Cap Pen solution costs considerable more to get it working well. On the drawback, that could mean the touch screen itself is not as accurate.....but a monitor that size, so long as it can do basic touch gestures, it should still more then suffice.

thatcomicsguy and YVerloc like this.
  3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

whaaa?
    That is iiiiinteresting.
    The most interesting thing to me is the panel+digitizer. Does the apollo lite (the monitor) support the pen? It looks like it does, but as an add on purchase!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  4. Marty

From what I understand from the FAQ, the pen is supported but not included, unlike the 32" AIO.

[​IMG]

So I guess the true cost of the monitor is $634. Still not too shabby. :)

Another interesting tidbit from the FAQ:

How is the color depth of Apollo?

It has 10 Bits color depth.

It's actually a 10bit display, amazingly. I have to say these Chinese manufacturers sure seem to be upping their game.

YVerloc likes this.
  5. fauzip

fauzip Pen Pal - Newbie

i'm interested to monitor version too. looking at Lisa's video do you think pen lag is fixable through firmware?

6. Marty

Pretty sure that lag is from the UWP app she's using, as shes says @3:30.

The true test will be in PS and CSP, of course. If it really is a UC-Logic digitizer, I don't think there should be any problems as the Artisul series has reviewed quite well.

7. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

The review said the pen has battery though, so it must be the kind of UC-Logic version on all the Yiynova, not the kind on the D16 which use the newer battery free tech. I'm already seeing battery free tech here and there on 19.5 ~ 22 inch Gaomon Chinese and Huion, but guess 32" is not there yet, and the new battery-free tech is not mature yet with the pen rotating offset problem. I wonder how the battery pen tech on this model deal with jitter though.

8. Marty

As far as I know, UC-Logic has always been EMR-based and the battery was only to assist in the power delivery. So I'm holding out hope that this new pen's battery is there only to enhance the signal over the larger tracking area and it's still based on the latest generation UC-Logic boards.

My hope is the newer thinner pen they are promising is an indication they are still working on improving the digitizer system. Fingers crossed!

YVerloc and thatcomicsguy like this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

hmmm......another possibility....its a stretch given it is a Chinese company.......but given how sometimes vendors and 3rd parties in the Industry can be aware of products that haven't been unveiled to the public yet......perhaps with this device being unveiled....suspiciously close to the Oct 2nd Surface Event.....maybe Sefree got wind that Microsoft was potentially planning to unveil a Surface Monitor at the October 2nd event....and they decided to steal some of that thunder. That would certainly make sense with the timing. The Surface event was also touted to be the unveiling of fully new products in addition to updates to existing product lines. With the Dual Screen Surface device being more of a tease then a proper product unveiling......A Surface Monitor would technically suit that "New Product" role.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Maybe finally they'll offer that monitor with built-in USB-C hub support, and produce a small form-factor tablet that's also a powerful PC. Please?