Final Questions Before Purchase (2710p)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by derenrich, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derenrich

derenrich Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried to call HP about the 2710 PI but they are closed on Sundays so I turn to you. I'm considering buying the RM272UT model because it seems to clearly be the best buy. (Although I wish they allowed for more customization).

So my questions are:
    1) How quickly are the 2710ps shipping?
    2) Do they have n Wifi? Some reviews say yes, but the specs say no.
    3) How good is the battery life really?
    4) I'm thinking of buying a 16 GB SSD and installing Vista on that to make up for the pokey HDD. is this a good idea? Will I need to buy another copy of Vista? What happened to the free DOS models?
    5) Do you miss having on-screen keys?

For reference, I wrote this on an X61t.

2. derenrich

I called HP today and here's what they told me (after 20 minutes of being bounced around). Some of the SKUs have n, but none of the ones on the web have n. The guy wasn't sure if the GV186US#80A is available but he said it did have 802.11n. I'm going to call sales about the model. Apparently FreeDos "isn't very popular" so don't expect that option in a SKU any time soon.

Any help on my other questions?

3. derenrich

I guess I'll carry on this discussion with myself. The sales department said that the GV186US#80A doesn't really exist (it's in the computers, but no orders can be placed and there is no ship date). Fortunately they just enabled custom builds recently (or I just noticed that it's available) so now you can get draft n and even FreeDOS. Sadly, the great deals available on the prebuilt models aren't available and the custom models are overpriced. Estimated ship times on the custom models are ~Sept. 10th.

HTH someone.

4. BLCal

BLCal Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I didn’t want you to continue to talk to yourself. I too am interested in the 2710p but have a question?

A question to 2710p owners. HP and Intel and been plagued with a high pitched :eek: sound (aka the whine) coming from the Centrino processor/motherboards of the last Napa platforms and current Santa Rosa platforms. This is happening mainly when they are in idle mode. I have owned some of these infamous squealing Pavilion’s. My question is does the processor in the 2710p make any such noise in a quiet environment?

Thanks
    B

5. KensingtonPark

KensingtonPark Pen Pal - Newbie

As an owner of a 2710p, here are my takes on your questions:

Shipment time. It took them three weeks to deliver my 2710p, a "272UT".

Draft N. I don't know about draft N availability. It wasn't particularly important to me.

Battery Life. Without the Ultraslim Battery, I get about 3.5 hours. With the Ultraslim battery, I can only say that it is a lot more. Basically, it last me as much as I need it for the entire day. Since I'm not an especially heavy user of the device (It's not with me all the time), I may not be the best evaluator of the life with the Ultraslim battery installed.

16 GB SSD. While I absolutely love the idea of SSDs, a 16 GB SSD would be a tough sell for me. With virtually no data (i.e., no music, pictures, word docs, excel spreadsheets, outlook pst), I use about 14 GB. That wouldn't leave very much for anything else. I personally don't find the 4200 PATA a particularly big problem.

On-Screen Keys. I assume this means physical keys on the face of the tablet. I do miss them, particularly when I'm casually using the device to surf on the train. Because I don't have on screen keys, I need the pen to page through an article. Frankly, I wouldn't miss them if the tablet had a "multi-touch" feature, which I miss more.

Squealing Processor/Motherboard. Mine does not squeal (yet).

Hope this helps.

K

6. BLCal

BLCal Pen Pal - Newbie

16 GB SSD: Toshiba just announced a 32 GB SDHC Card http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13291 , so if Vista, Office, All your goodies, etc. can run on 14 with the 16 GB SSD then all your "i.e., no music, pictures, word docs, excel spreadsheets, outlook pst" can be stored on the 32 GB SDHC. I assuming the 2710p support SDHC.
    PS 32 GB SSD http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/riteks-16gb-and-32gb-ssds-starting-at-a-low-low-169/
    64 GB SSD http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/25/samsungs-64gb-ssds-ready-to-roll/
    128 GB SSD Prices are getting better :confused:

Battery Life: would sky rocket without a HDD

I would go for the SSD & SDHC combo:D

B

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. derenrich

Do I have to buy the Ultraslim battery separately?
    Can you really boot off of an SD card?

8. BLCal

BLCal Pen Pal - Newbie

Good question?

I was talking about booting off of a SSD [16G, 32G, 64G, 128G, etc (the bigger the more over priced)], I'd use a 16GB SSD to Boot off of and 16G or 32G SDHC for file storage.

Question? Does the 2710p have a bigger battery that is not on the ex-base?
    Question? Does the 2710p support SDHC (the new SD Cards)?

B

9. benjaman

benjaman Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes.

No. But this is a really good solution - very thin, doesn't stick out anywhere, doesn't change balance, and more than doubles battery life (from an already very good one).

Doesn't mention it in the detailed specs anyhow, so I wouldn't count on it.
    But why not get an express card based ssd instead? 16GB for $187, 32GB for $479 (at newegg).

BTW, are you sure that the ssd harddrive will fit the connector? Does the 2710p use ZIF or the "tohsiba type", or something else? No way to find out from the specs, so perhaps a kind 2710p owner could check for us?

10. BLCal

BLCal Pen Pal - Newbie

Most if not all of the new 4G SD Cards are SDHC. Has anyone used a 4GB SD Card with this machine yet?

Can you boot off the express card? And disable the HDD? I Would like to save battery power, by stopping the HDD from spinning.

BTW all this good feedback is appreciated, it is whetting my appetite for this new machine.:D :cool:

Thanks
    B