Final (hopefully) questions.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by P8RSON, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToKu

ToKu Pen Pal - Newbie

My laptop is on its last leg and its time to start looking for her replacement. After a change in lifestyle I feel I no longer need alot of the functions I once did with a laptop, like gaming ability, or storage of mp3's and the such.

After much consideration and research its really come down to the R1 and the R2.

While I would still like a device powerful enough to act as a hub between my technology size is not a issue. I have decided on a tablet for more efficient note taking.

I am | | close to deciding on the R2 and have some final questions:

I have never used a tablet before but want to be able to furiously scribble notes and save them semi often, as well as erase errors. Is the R2 up to the task?

I would like to watch DVD's occasionally, as well as other video online, sound isnt an issue I am 1 step shy of having headphones installed on my head permanently. How is the view quality and lag?

Can this tablet go from native to portrait? While taking notes?

Whats the max ram this thing can have? Is it something I have to order initially or something I can switch out myself fairly hassel free and w/o voiding warrenty?

-afterthought-

Still considering the R1 as well, I will conduct some tests to see how comfortable I am writing the R2's screen. I write small so dont expect much trouble. The R1 would meet all my needs np. This is really comming down to a size vs weight. =)

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Okay... let's go over this for you ToKu.

TabletPC's have come a long way since they were first released.
    As such tasks such as writing with the pen has become much easier and accurate.
    As an example, all my tablets work straight out of the box with multiple users hand writing ....and my Brother has one of the worst farmer scrawls around :D.
    The R2H can cope with feverish handwriting.

Again no problem here...
    The Celeron processor can cope quite easily in playing movies.
    The sound is fine but yes, use headphones/earphones/external speakers as the internal 'single' speaker is not up to the task of movie/music listening.

Yes.... you can select this from the system tray.
    The device comes with 256MB on board for graphics and a 512MB stick giving a total of 768MB.
    However, you can take out the 512MB stick and replace it with a 1GB module if you so wish.

The R1F is indeed a nice machine, especially if you want it's 'wide screen type layout.

Question.... What made you decide on ASUS?
    There are other tablets that would also fit the bill.

3. ToKu

ToKu Pen Pal - Newbie

Im an asus fan. Ive owned 2 laptops and multiple desktops and have gained a disliking for some companies.

My Asus mobos have NEVER given me problems, and my m6bne took 3 years to finally give me heat issues as its only problem. I'd go so far to say I am biased to Asus and when I look for tech I check to see if they are involved in it first.

Is the optical drive external? How much drain does it put on battery? While dvd ability isnt a major requirement of mine it'd be nice to take a break from school or work and be able to get some of my Battlestar Galactica fix in. ;)

I tried out a piece of paper with the dimensions of the R2 and wouldnt have a problem with that, as long as page scrolling isnt bad. Alot of my teachers like to talk for hours w/o stop. I record lectures but need to be able to draw graphs and tables and leave notes attached as well.

I always consider other brands as well, but Asus look great and have never lacked features that I am looking for.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Toku,
    You are happy that the R2H has only a 7" screen?
    The only reason I say this is because you mention you tried out a piece of paper with the dimensions of the R2H.

Providing you can accept this then yes, it does scroll very nice.
    In fact you have multiple options for scrolling.
    You can either use the page at a time on the right hand side of the screen.
    The line at a time on the left hand side of the screen.
    Or the finger reader top left of the screen.

Further you have the mouse stick, pen and mouse to control movement on screen.

As to your choice of ASUS....
    Yes, I will agree that ASUS make some fine hardware devices.
    I rather like these two new devices, the R1F and the smaller R2H, so much so I purchased an R2H last week.

But I also have three Fujitsu Siemens as well (P1510, P7010 & T4210).
    I'm not biased to a particular developer and although it is very easy to be drawn into this situation, you really have to have an open mind with these types of hardwares.

I still would not dismiss Fujitsu, nor some of the others if I were you.

As an example, if you want the Ultra portability of the ASUS R2H but would like it in a convertible notebook/slate design, why not also look at the Fujitsu P1610 which is being released to supercede the great P1510.

It has an exceptional build quality, superb keyboard, lovely screen and second to none tech support. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.