Filled all Advanced order for the Asus R2H - some left, more coming late next week

Discussion in 'UMPC - Ultra Mobile PC' started by PROPortable, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you for the kind comments Paulo.
    The aim of anyone who posts information, advice, idea's, etc. does it in hope that others will take something from the comments outlayed.

When others then like yourself take further time and effort to join in, not only is it good for the topic and reading members but invigorates the forum as a whole. :)

2. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you Paulo... I know the voyeur in all of us just likes to watch, but it takes a strong person to stand up and be a part of something.... Thanks for chiming in.. based on the thread views, I certainly knew it more than just the two of us in here.

3. mal_disposto

mal_disposto Pen Pal - Newbie

You're welcome (both of you).
    Just expressing my apreciation for the time you take to share what you know so the ones with less knowledge (like me) can learn something.

( I know, it´s the spirit in this kind of "venture" ... :) )

4. PROPortable

I'll tell you right now that it's taken years to get the Asus Notebook Forum over at NotebookReview to where it is now.... 7,000-8,000 posts of my own to help get there...... UMPC's - at least the Origami form factor are new and it's going to take some time to get this side of the forum to the point were are over there.... At least someone is paying attention though. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a line.

5. Blowfish

Blowfish Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I just recently joined this board and now de-lurking particularly as a result of Justin's excellent post and photos of the R2H over at the Notebookreview side, and my interests in UMPC's.

Though I posted this question over at Notebookreview, thought I'd repost over here and try to keep the UMPC theme intact and threads over here.

Justin, a few questions on the R2H since you've got some real time hands on time with the elusive R2H.

1. How does the GPS affect the battery life? If you were to keep the GPS unit constantly on (like long road trips), how is the battery life with the 4-hour battery?

2. How does the screen perform when outdoors, and dealing with sun and glare?

Again, thnx for the naked R2H photos, really informative and much appreciated!

6. PROPortable

OK... good... I was actually surprised at the lack of response on the umpc and tablet side to those pictures... and you even saw them on the notebook side... but regardless..

1. I don't have full tests of this gps against normal use... but I have a lot of use with the bluetooth gps units Asus used to make with their pocket pcs... and a lot of demo time with the mypal a636 with the built-in gps..... and it doesn't use that much life. It's like a usb device basically.... it might grab 15 minutes over the course of the life of the battery...

No good laptop or tablet screen is ever great outdoors... and the transflective screens that are for outdoor use - blow inside when compared to the normal screens. With that said, it's decent outside... you can still see the screen and it's still functional.... plus there's a very high backlight on this unit if you want to bump it up..... it's nice in a car - better than the screen I have on my pioneer headunit..... and it's about as good as our best laptop outside...... it's usable until you put the sun right behind it (to the point where you see the sun in it's reflection). Now mind you, I didn't really demo this outside this summer except for at a car show in july...... and it was fine... but in the dimmer days that are late autumn in the Northeast - it's usable....

7. Blowfish

Blowfish Pen Pal - Newbie

Thnx for this useful info. Good point about the transreflective screens and poor performance for inside use, I didn't know that.

I was surprised too re: your naked R2H photos ... I think it's only a matter of time before folks find since these photos are the only one's I've ever seen on the web. I actually came across it through Bloglines and I think 3 different mobiletech/blog sites had a blurb/link to it earlier this week.

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Doesn't mean to say they haven't been greatly received Justin, because I for one am really grateful to you for them.
    Again, thanks mate..:)

9. PROPortable

Well thank you again... to you both.

Yeah, I've seen those FCC shots... those are all taken from a prototype (taken probably back in late April).... some things are different, but I thought the internals of a US production model helps give proof that it not only exists here finally - but we have them and we know them inside and out... ;)

10. PROPortable

After filling backorders, it looks like we still have more than a dozen of the R2's left, with another two dozen arriving on Friday. They won't last long, but they will last a little while... better than us having to fill small back orders every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.