Filled all Advanced order for the Asus R2H - some left, more coming late next week

Discussion in 'UMPC - Ultra Mobile PC' started by PROPortable, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know how many of you on here may have ordered an R2H, but a lot of our friends over on the notebook side of the forum have grabbed them up. I've been using one since early July and the production unit blows my mind. I think to be interested in the umpc format, you have to be a tech head, so it's everything and more than anyone could really expect.

They came in a bit faster than I thought they would and we didn't get everything we ordered, but we did have enough to fill all of the backorders and still have about a dozen left.... another shipment of 50-60+ should be here by next Friday I hope.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

These little units interest me as well Justin.

I'm looking at them from the portable 'out in the field' market area and when I say field, I mean just that.
    The idea of GPS, a camera and wifi makes the devices a considerable choice.

3. PROPortable

You're right... I think some people are looking at these to replace their computers, but really I look at them as a completel replacement for a pocket pc and even a notebook/tablet - if that device is only used while on the go or whatever (ie: you're returning to a desktop or a higher end laptop)..... The GPS certainly sets it off... there aren't many umpc's to start with, but certainly no others with gps... The story behind built in gps goes back a couple years when Asus aquired this gps and 3g chip company..... It's only a matter of time before it's in the notebooks - but the benefit to pocket pcs and umpcs is obvious.... I wish it also have UMTS built in too - but beggers can't be choosers as they say and the current unit is worth every dime. Originally (July), this configuration was said to be set for a mark of close to $1,500... so for $1,000 - I can't complain..... and given the size of the Sony unit and it's features - adding UMTS to the R2H would probably put it in the $2,000+ range....

Anyway..... gps for field work is honestly what I see this being used for.. We've had a lot of interest from the forestry industry and just about everyone that does any sort of work outside that carries a notepad (physicall paper), a tablet pc or notebook pc......

4. P8RSON

Time for me to obtain more information I believe...
    The lads who help keep the farm and our area of the Peak District going would just love one of these.

Ohh... and me as well of course :D

5. PROPortable

I bet they would.... in fact, I really, really bet they would. Quite a tool for someone out on the farm, I must say.

6. P8RSON

My apologies to anyone if I am high-jacking the thread... Just need it for a post.
    Thanks....

The farm hands are not your normal type found working the fields.
    All have to have a high level of education and independance, able to analyse a situation and deal with it immediately.

Each carries a number of technical tools and would have to communicate not only with the farm but local government organisation and parish levels.

They act as both farm management, wildlife trust and National Country Park Wardens ~ as in The Peak District.

Unfortunately, giving them a spade, a hammer and straw to suck on doesn't come into their vocation.
    Some are educated at University level ....... and don't they let me know it sometimes :D

Topic high-jack finished. .....[​IMG]

7. PROPortable

I gotcha now.... oh, and I feel like we're the only two posting over here, so if you want to just drop me an IM or something.... it's a lot easier ;)

8. PROPortable

Just as a note (and I'll post this around), but the standard US configuration of the R2h is coming with the double capacity battery instead of the "standard" shipping around the world. This means the battery is slightly heavier, but will give about 4 hours of life instead of 2.

"standard" - 3430mAh Polymer, 24W/hr (2 hours life)
    "optional" - 6860mAh Polymer, 48W/hr (4 hour life)

We're not getting the standard battery at all - or at least at this time. This change apparently was made for the same reasons all of the US notebooks now will NOT come with their smaller European couterparts (3 cells instead of 6 cells for the 13" and smaller notebooks), because the slightly added weight (and I'm talking just a few ounces - doesn't cost much more from the factory, but does double the life which is more important to this market.

Oh... and just to help ease what some people heard about a batch of UK R2h's - the bluetooth is installed on our models and I've tested it out.

All of Thursday's R2h shipment is history as of this morning. More will be coming in later this week and at the begining of next. We had 300 on order and have only recieved 40 so far.... Asus said it may be this time next month before they can fill that order, so supply will be rather tight, but for anyone that's interested we'll be able to get you a unit as soon as possible.

9. PROPortable

It turned out there were another five units that were unaccounted for until the close of business. So, although they may be gone tomorrow morning, there are some extras available at this moment.

10. mal_disposto

mal_disposto Pen Pal - Newbie

Justin

You two might be the only ones posting here, but the conversation sure is interesting.
    Specially because both of you are smart an interesting to read. I allways read any post from any of you two and allways learn something.

Thx for taking the time to teach.

Paulo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.