File offload directly from SD?

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by TwistedLincoln, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwistedLincoln

TwistedLincoln Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm considering purchasing the EEE Note EA800 from eBay almost exclusively for use for note-taking.

I use GNU/Linux, however. Is it possible to transfer drawings/notes from the Note to the PC without using the Windows-only software or a web-based service such as Evernote? I won't have internet access where I'll be using it, but still need to offload to the PC.

The user manual suggests that you can transfer a note to the SD card, but I am concerned it is a proprietary format that would be unusable if you simply copied it from the SD card manually with a reader.

I don't really care about annotating PDFs -- I just want to be able to archive my standalone notes to my PC as .gifs or other usable format. Is that possible, either natively, or via a hack?

2. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

One thing you *could* do is take a snapshot of each page of your note. These will then show up in your photo gallery as image files, which are not proprietary. But, of course, it's a separate image file for each separate page.

3. wubak

wubak Pen Pal - Newbie

If you have an SD card inserted, you can "upload" a note to the SD card. Unfortunately, you can only do it one page at a time. It will then create a corresponding .gif on the sd card. It seems that a hack would be able to access and grab your notes in a batch as .gif files.... I haven't seen anyone trying to take this on yet, though it would be great!

4. adamherst

adamherst Pen Pal - Newbie

mescalinum has ported dropbear to the eee note: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/41410-dropbear-ssh-eee-note.html. I was able to get it working by following the instructions. The package includes a command line version of scp. I'm running WinSCP under wine to provide a GUI. I've been able to copy files to my Ubuntu system using both methods.

maneex has ported vsftpd to the eee note: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asu...te-ported-applications-tweaks.html#post233834. Again, I was able to get it working by following the instructions. I was able to connect to the file system using Ubuntu's Places>Connect to server>FTP (with login).

The Notes files are stored on the eee note in /eTablet/var/enotes as .gif files. I've had no problems copying them to my Ubuntu system.

Adam

5. TwistedLincoln

TwistedLincoln Pen Pal - Newbie

Perfect! Thanks to all for the quick responses.

6. Ramses800

Ramses800 Template Trickster

Unfortunately, it is only your own scribbles in those gif files, the template used with the note is not saved into that gif.

As a sidenote, I use Dropbear/WinSCP as well and it works really well for file transfers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.