Feedbacks wanted for R15

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Barry J. Doyle, Jul 10, 2005.

1. kdw

kdw Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been looking into trying a tablet PC and had narrow it down to the Fujitsu T4000 and Toshiba R15. I might be leaning more toward the Toshiba since having tablet capability is secondary for my needs. My primary use will be for business and school use. For those who have tried the R15, has heat been any problem for you? My current 4yrs old Compaq Presario overheats and locks up on me so often I at times felt like throwing it out the window. Needless to say I won't be buying Compaq or HP again.

I will use this laptop mostly for application development (vb, financial, etc) and hopefully foreign language translation. No gaming or intense graphics.

Does anyone have any recommendations for anyone new to tablet PC? Anything specific to this laptop that I should be aware of?

Are there softwares out there that can take great advantage of tablet PC that I should look into?

It's a lot of questions. But I hope you all will have as much fun giving me feedbacks as I am asking them. :p Thanks in advance!

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Both the R15 and ST4000 will work for you. Keep in mind that the Toshiba has a larger 14" screen, but is much heavier to carry around. The Fujitsu T4000 in contrast has a smaller 12.1" screen, but is much more portable and lightweight.

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you're a student you definitely are going to want One Note. There are also a few other packages that might help you out, including several freebies from Microsoft.

4. kdw

kdw Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Would you recommend getting any kind of service plan, like the CompUSA 2 yr +screen protection plan? I have never brought service plans before, and thanks goodness haven't wished I did, and wonder if they are worth the money.

what about screen protector? Does it affect the writing sensitivity?

5. Barry J. Doyle

If you purchase the plan from CompUSA, tell them that you can't afford another $250 or whatever it costs for the service plan. If they give you $100 off on the plan, I say get it (no more than 2 years). If they won't give you a discount, I would skip it.

High quality screen protectors should make the writing experience "better" than without.

6. kdw

kdw Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, Barry, for the suggestion. I just took a quick look at Bestbuy and they offer a 3 yr service plan for $299 while CompUSA's is $349 for just 2yr. The 'fine prints' look just about the same. Is there a catch? Picking a notebook is in itself confusing enough... But I must say this site has been very informative!

Another question - what constitute a good screen protector? Any recommendations? I found that the screen protector for my PDA did make the screen less respondsive. Perhaps they have gotten better?

7. Barry J. Doyle

You can surely get CompUSA to match the Best Buy price on an extended warranty. Also, CompUSA has a 21 day return exchange policy. Best Buy will charge you a 15% restocking fee in almost any case that you have a problem. I don't want to slam BB to hard, but beware!

Check out this story we had a while back on BStrong screen protectors:

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=217

Also, you will notice that the Tablet PC's Electromagnetic Touch Screen is a whole lot more responsive than a PDA screen. You should notice very little if any difference at all in responsiveness with a screen protector on a Tablet.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015