Feedback for Lisa Gade

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Kumabjorn, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

@MobileTechReview
    Lisa has asked for some feedback on how we view video sponsorship.

My view is that if you do a review of the Pixel 2 and Google sponsor it, I'd be worried about your independence. But if some company that does accessories for the Pixel 2 wants to sponsor a video like that I'd have no problem. Especially if it is clarified that the company is a sponsor.

The same goes for some app developer who wants to sell an Android app on your video for an Android phone. Or if Wacom wants to introduce a Bamboo stylus that is compatible with a Surface Pro/Book/Laptop/Studio.

I completely understand that you have expenses, so even an unlocking company/service is OK in my book. I'll probably not use it, but I can live with seeing it.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Lisa,

I watched the video in which you asked for feedback. I didn't watch the initial video which was apparently what stirred you to ask for feedback. But I didn't comment on YouTube because... YouTube comments section... I never comment on YouTube. But I wanted to give feedback here because you are one of the best at what you do and I appreciate your work.

I have no problem with sponsored content. Only, as you and many others have already said, if the company whose product you are reviewing doesn't sponsor that video. Otherwise, as you said in that video, you gotta eat. Whatever you have to do to keep doing what you are doing please do it.

Every single one of Linus's videos are sponsored and I don't think there is a lot of rage over his channel. I think he has a good model for doing it too. He mentions his sponsor briefly at the beginning of his videos, right after the intro, and then a longer detailed ad at the end. If people are interested in the product they will watch the longer ad at the end.

Just my two cents.

3. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

I just found this thread- thanks for taking the time to offer feedback. So here's the deal-- I've done sponsored 30-60 second spots often enough, and occasional sponsored videos about items/software that aren't the sorts of things we'd normally review (sort of like infomercials, they're not reviews, and no conflict of interest since it's not something we'd normally cover). I did a Casper Mattress sponsored video a few years ago, and folks actually seemed to love that- it was funny and different. In fact, folks wrote me asking how the mattress held up a few months later!

So yeah, there's always some who will complain about ads, but not a whole lot. Frankly, I don't worry about them too much or I set them straight by reminding them that they're getting free content and no one is making them watch a video they decide isn't for them.

But the truly weird thing about the phone unlocking video (and I'd done those before a few years ago, sponsored, with no complaints), is that many folks were hating on phone unlocking. Comments like "Don't give these kinds of companies the light of day, Lisa!" That's certainly a change from a few years ago, and I was honestly trying to figure out why that was. Did they hate the particular company (not likely, since they're highly reputable and no one singled them out), do they simply hate that they might have to pay to have a phone unlocked? I wanted to know because I was truly surprised, and because that company would like us to do more videos- a revenue opportunity it would hurt to turn down.

4. jjsa1985

I guess phone unlocking is controversial, and may be it should be, in the sense that no phones should be sim locked. I would never buy a locked phone, unless I knew I could unlock it for free. And that may be part of the reason for the comments about the unlocking service.

1. I think people are unsure of the legality of phone unlocking, so they see a phone unlocking service and think something shady is happening. 2. Sometimes they are shady. I've seen services offered to unlock phones that should be free to unlock if you go to the carrier or even just go to their website and get a code. What should be free, these services sometimes charge money for, and that may be the reason for the outrage.

But the real outrage should be aimed at the carriers. Why are they still selling locked phones? I'm not originally from the US, but the carriers here get away with highway robbery. They force you to sign a two year contract to buy a locked phone, then you have to jump through hoops to unlock a device you paid for to use when you travel overseas. And all that so you can pay more than buying an unlocked phone with prepaid service.

And may be that's a video idea for you. May be you should do a video about the cost of major carrier contracts and buying locked phones, and tell people about alternatives, like buying unlocked and using MVNOs. I use tracfone on AT&Ts network. It costs me about $13/month for 250mb and plenty of talk and text. I don't need unlimited data, because I usually have wifi. The only time I need data is maps navigation (which I can save on by downloading offline maps) and when I need to look up something while in a store. I suspect most people have similar needs. Unless you're streaming YouTube while commuting everyday, why do you need unlimited data for $80/month? But people don't know that there are much cheaper alternatives so they just keep using them.

Sorry about the rant. Anyway, hope some of that helps.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I think that might be a weirdly unique American problem. In most other countries operators are required to unlock SIM cards when the contract ends. Nowadays I think it is even automated so that the day your contact is over the operator send a code to the phone that unlocks it.
    This is also a reason they give away free phones, unlimited SMS or unlimited data plans when your contact is up so you'll stay with them.

In addition to @jjsa 1985's post may I suggest teaming up with YouTube tech reviewers from countries around the world and expose those different plans and how some operators are worse predators than the Weinsteins and Spaceys of this world. Subtitles in lots of languages and it is guaranteed to go viral. Most people in most countries have zero knowledge of how they get abused. Everything from roaming fees to SIM locking.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  6. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

In Canada, I believe folks have to pay $50, though a new law will end that fee in December. From feedback I've gotten from folks in other countries, not all countries have government mandated unlocking. The unlocking company we did the video for tells me only 25% of their customers are US-based.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. jjsa1985

I know for a fact that in some countries even carriers sell contract phones unlocked. I lived in one of those countries for a long time, which is why I can't understand the concept of sim locked phones. I got burned when we moved to the US and my wife's phone, which we bought used, was locked to the carrier. We didn't know that it was locked until my wife needed to travel abroad and the phone didn't work, so she had to borrow someone else's phone temporarily. When she got back we went to the AT&T website and unlocked it for free. Since then, I always do my research into unlockability before considering a phone.