FBReader on ea800

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by d.goryachev, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domee

domee Pen Pal - Newbie

Okular is a great, great app! One of the best readers I know!

2. burgerproductions

burgerproductions Pen Pal - Newbie

A question.
    I've got the TW firmare and I've downloaded FBReader via the QTPacker but when I try to open the app I get a dark screen, I see the top bar icons and then nothing happens and I go back to the main menu. Is this because I have the TW firmware or am I missing something?

3. d.goryachev

d.goryachev Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you run fbreader from console? It may write about problems here. (Probably, there are problems with FW libraries, although been reports about successfull runs on TW firmware, as far i can remember.

4. burgerproductions

You wouldn't happen to have a dvt script ro install this would you?
    I've been looking at the dvt script for FullInstall and was thinking of using it as a template to write my own, but i don't want to mess up the installation process.
    thanks in advance

5. Muhali

Muhali Pen Pal - Newbie

I have run it successfully with TW firmware.

M.

6. burgerproductions

An update: Last night I decided to have another go at downloading the Fbreader via QTPacker and...viola...it's now working. i have no idea why it wasn't working before or why it IS working now; I'm just happy it's working.
    The speed when turning pages in Epub it exceptional compared to ASUS's built in reader. I could turn 10 pages in seconds rather than having to wait for each page to load (about 2-3 sec per page in ASUS's reader). I haven't had much time to play with it, but I'll report back anfter I've had some evaluation time. Thanks.

7. resuS

resuS Pen Pal - Newbie

I've instulled this! It is amazing, much faster than native reader!
    But after adding books from sdcard the fbreader freezes. Is it common problem? How to solve it? (russian firmware)

And, How I anderstand a last sensor button is without function now. D. Goryachev, could you change this to native NoteTaking app? Becouse we need do notes sometims when reading books.

8. d.goryachev

Last btn linked with dictionary call, but you need to pre-launch it, i.e. you should have dictionary process already runned. Moreover, you can re-assign buttons via Settings. Surely, I can add action to open native note writer application, but little later, now i'm experimenting with other software :)

What concerned with freezes - i could not to say it actually freezes, it's became very slow, in "library" mode. Actually, it's a hard process - to scan file tree, un-archive each file and read tags and cover images. May be too hard for relatively weak eee note hardware.

For myself, i choosed to use QtFM as replacement of library. Books is devided by directories, ordered by names .. what else needed? Double click on it to run :)

9. d.goryachev

BTW, I've compiled stable version of CoolReader3.
    Can't say that if faster or better comparing with FBReader, although hoped on it. Is anyone interested in? CR3 it's just a reader, w/o library functionality. According to documentation, it can read fb2, epub, chm, doc, html, txt, rtf and some exotic formats. All listed I've checked and it works, even chm with tables support.

Dunno, if this program is really worth time, which can be spent on it. CR3 depends from fontconfig and freetype, which i've took from optware feed.

10. osowiecki

osowiecki Scribbler - Standard Member

I used CR3 and FBREADER on my 'PocketBook 903' e-ink reader.
    CR3 is way better for viewing offline MHT,HTM,HTML sites +you can adjust text contrast in it + you can scale images (maybe this were some mods to the original CR3 made by PB community..but still)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.