Fax modem for x61t

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by bigtuna, Sep 21, 2007.

1. bigtuna

bigtuna Pen Pal - Newbie

I am a happy x61t owner.

I think the reason why is that unlike most of the geniuses on this awsome site, my computer is smarter than me.

Could someone advise me about faxing?

I have a Sprint Sierra Wireless 595 air card using EVDO rev.A. I want to be able to fax invoices, work orders, etc to my clients from my laptop without having to pay monthly fees etc.

I called Sprint and they said that my broadband card does not support fax.

Does the modem have to be fax capable, or is there another piece of hardware in my laptop ex.- fax card that would accomplish the same goal?

Also, I have a desktop that is always running. I network my x61t with the office desktop and HP3330 Laser Jet using Network Magic and the x61t's wifi. My question- would it be possible to gain access to my office network using Network Magic and my Sprint EVDO card? Then I could fax out using my existing HP3330 Laser Jet... problem solved, and no monthly e-fax fees.

Any answers would be appreciated, and I will try to contribute to this great site whenever I can

2. bigtuna

bigtuna Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone advise?

3. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

Fax is an available printer in Office 2007. you will need a phone line plugged into the modem port, but it should work fine.

To verify usage, go to classic view of control panel, select printers, then double click on fax to atart up windows fax and scan. here you will set up your options.

Hope this helps.

4. Maria_Andretti

Maria_Andretti Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're always connected to the internet (or can with the broadband card), it sounds like you could just use one of the free internet faxing apps that are out there. This seems more like a software solution than a hardware one.

5. bigtuna

bigtuna Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the responses!

My main concern was not having monthly, or per use fees because I would rather pay something upfront and control my expenses...

Also by being able to connect to my home network from the road I could print right on my officejet... that would be cool!!!!

Has anyone tried this?