Favorite games on your Tablet PC?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jor-dan, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Jor-dan

Jor-dan Tablet-Loving Student

I am curious which games people like to play on their tablet PCs!

Please tell us the game, your tablet, and how the Tablet feature effects your game!

Right off the bat, my old TC1000 is GREAT for playing Age of Empires II, as well as the other games running that same engine, such as Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.

What makes it so fun? I can gather troops quickly, tap away at the visual command buttons, and jump around the map like a god with a tap of the mini-map. It's just so fun!

My tx2500 is due at my door in 2 weeks, and I look forward to seeing which other games are benefitted by the Active or even Passive digitizers!

Anyone else know some good games?

EDIT: I am also curious if LIGHT GUN games are fun on tablets :)

2. Hypertext Eye

Hypertext Eye Pen Pal - Newbie

Most so called "casual" games are wonderful on a tablet. Especially games like Diner Dash, where speed and accuracy are very important later in the game. Also, there is a game modeled after a nintendo DS game (Elite Beat Agents) made specifically with screen input in mind. You can find it at http://osu.ppy.sh/

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

5. Jor-dan

I would think most wii pointer-style games would be pretty fun, like Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People. I can't wait to play it on the tablet!

The games that will probably not work are the ones with crosshairs stuck in the middle, like any First Person Shooter.

Any other games benefitted by Tablet?

6. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

This is the 3rd time (I believe) this same question has been done in about the last 6 months. Here is a link to one of them.

I would pick crayon physics, if they would get around to fixing it.

For now though I just enjoy Freecell since I can drag the cards with the pen.

I also like inkball and what ever I answered before in the previous times this question was asked.:D

7. Jor-dan

Oops! I had searched the forums, and couldn't easily find anything that wasn't 18 months old or only about inking games.

I'm curious about -real- games ;)

8. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone know of a good tablet enhanced version of sudoku other than the one that came from MS. I have it but it seems to hog resources after its been open for awhile.

9. ScubaX

You didn't specify "real games" - you mean like COD or WOW or what?

There is a thread on that too, trust me.:D Doesn't mean you can't bring it up again, I don't think this is nerdy enough site where you get jumped on to death because you did not search.

I was merely pointing out that there were threads on the subject in case you wanted that info too.

10. Jor-dan

Well, I just want to know which NORMAL *coughmainstream* games are playable in Tablet Mode... SLATE-style.

RTS games are, especially non-3d ones.

Wii-pointer games are.

Aaaand pointer-controlled shooter games... always fun...

OH! OH! OH!

TIME CRISIS!!!! CAN YOU PLAY TIME CRISIS GAMES ON A TABLET?!?!?! :)

Sorry, hyper and excited :p

11. ScubaX

I believe somewhere in the Gateway threads there was someone that said Crysis worked on the lowest settings, but not sure about that. Gateway is the only current model with a discreet graphic card which is a big boost to gaming. Some of the new TPC's are getting some better bench marks with embedded graphics, but not sure that translates into real world.

Mine plays WOW and C&C generals and that's all I have tried on it. I leave real gaming up to my gaming PC, Xbox 360 or PS3. I don't really enjoy WOW on my TPC because of the small screen and pen usage would not work well - if at all.

12. Jor-dan

yeah... That gateway has 128 MB of dedicated GDDR3... Whereas the HP had 64 MB of dedicated GDDR2... I almost got that gateway too! It was tempting! But I am just too stuck on HP... And touch screen... And yes, the gateway has a better HDD too... But it was also big and heavy! And... Well truth is it was a tough call. Brand name and Style and Touch screen... Plus being $300 cheaper, sold me on the HP :)

Crysis, eh? Is the pen any good on that game?

13. jhoff80

You know, its a shame. I thought I'd found a great game to play on a tablet. The game is Aquaria, and it seems like it'd have perfect controls for it. (Click the mouse in a direction to move). However, the demo doesn't natively work with tablet controls. I went to its forum and looked up tablet, and found that someone had used a modified SDL.dll file to get the tablet support to work. Then after buying it, I found that later in the full game there are times when you need to click both the left and right buttons at the same time to do something. Unfortunately, on my Dell XT, the second button is hard-coded to erase, so this is impossible.

Considering the game doesn't work as good as I thought on the tablet, people probably aren't interested in it here, but I'm just a little frustrated, because the controls would be perfect for it. It is a good game anyway though, so if anyone's interested it was just released on Steam and they've sold it directly from their site for a while now (www.bit-blot.com)

14. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you for the game tip, looks funny

I don't understand this. You make the left click by tapping with the pen nib on the screen and the right click by pressing the first pen button. Where's the problem? ;)

On my "wacom" pen from Fujitsu I can assign any event to both buttons, but I also can't press both buttons simultaneously, because the two buttons are connected through a "rocker".

Your other option is to assign a tablet PC button on your tablet to the left or right mouse click, problem solved again :), I think :p

The last option is to activate the keyboard mouse in windows and use a numblock to press the left and/or right mouse button.

I hope you get it working.

15. jhoff80

Well, the tapping on the screen is a left click, and holding the pen button and tapping on the screen is the right click, so unless I can tap on the screen twice at the same time to have it register for both.... ;)

16. lokihaus

lokihaus Pen Pal - Newbie

17. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hexic. The best puzzle game EVAR. Free for XP:TE. Tweaked for pen use.

18. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Now I understand your problem.
    Well, we wacom users can select how the right click with the pen shall work.
    We can choose between your way or that pressing the pen button performs a right click immediately.
    right click.jpg

Maybe you have a similar option in your N-Trig settings.

But with the tablet PC buttons as a right click, the game should work.
    I've tried the demo and it seems to be really great for a tablet PC user.

Yes, it's a great game, small and simple. But in the long run it can get boring, because it's always the same.

19. jhoff80

http://www.ratloop.com/?games/mightier

Just discovered this game, an IGF finalist for innovation. You need to draw blueprints of where the laser will cut in order to collect the crystals. The game is designed in order to be printed and then scanned with a webcam, but it also works great drawing it on the tablet screen.

20. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

I've downloaded this game and made it to the last level. It's a lot of fun with a tablet, but the puzzle (at the end you have to print it out and assemble it for the code to continue) is far too hard for me. There are too many ways to arrange the pieces, unlike a jigsaw puzzle where if two pieces fit it's pretty safe to assume they go together.

If anyone has solved this please post the solution, with spoiler warning of course, or PM me. I'm pulling my hair out. Other than that, though, the game is really a lot of fun.