Fastest 8 inch windows tablet that is 16:10 or 16:9?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by paprikaleapt, Jun 9, 2019.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Why I am looking at windows:

YouTube binging

Most vids are 16:9.

With a little 16:10 windows tablet, I can download chrome and then use StretchView chrome extension to kill the remaining black bars with a combination of stretch/zoom. It's less content, I know, but immersion has a certain quality.

But I've heard most windows tablets in this size/aspect ratio are very slow or have abysmal battery lives. The speed seems like the bigger problem.

What's my best bet?
    I guess there's waiting for next generation, but will the next generation in the coming two years actually make 8 inch windows tablets be fast/snappy enough to be worth it for the above task?

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not even Microsoft is interested in an 8"windows tablet. Looks like the threshold for them and their OEMS is 10". My guess is that with WoA, and the WCOS / windows lite, this size will make a comeback.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Shogmaster likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The problem is....the 8-inch tablet category relied on Atom Processors....when Intel killed the Atom Line....although there were still alternatives (Celrom, Pentiums) it sort of took the 8-inch market with it. Kind of a shame given Atom was making some significant performance strides at the end of its lifespan. Had they continued it...and had true 2019 Atoms with Turbo Boosting....while I doubt it would be the same as the initial 8-inch market when it debuted....there would probably be more variety in the under 12- inch market.

For the US Market itself....the last major Windows Product under 12-inches was the Surface Go which is now almost a full year old. And that still weaker then the Galaxy Book 10.6....which is now over 2 years old. You might find a bottom of the barrel 10-incher in the back table at a Best Buy.....but 8-inchers are all but gone.

Thats for the US Market anyway. A price premium for sure....but there are some more options in the Asia Market. Such as this one here. This one is a 7-incher...but I do recalled a more recent 8-inch model is in the works. The cheaper ones use the older Atoms, but the $600 + ish priced ones have Core Ms. If see one with an i7....its actually a Core M-7 ....Intels rebanding of the higher tiers of Core M....but still a Core M.....which is way better then Cherry Trail Atom. If these weren't so expensive, I probably would own one myself by now.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/One...dv=c&pt=&ty=&gclid=CPSr95-P3uICFRXgyAodV_4E8w

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    paprikaleapt and nnthemperor like this.
  4. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah

Thanks

Well, hopefully windows lite allows chrome extensions

I wonder if Google is working out a way to get chrome extensions to work in android? Seems unlikely-> at least a lot of UI elements will probably be screwed from the transition from desktop -> 8 inch tablet if they can't control everything tightly like apple

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

What are we up to in the phone market now...6"? I imagine with the folding dual screen scenario your wish is almost upon us....with Android as the OS at least.

Galaxy Note 15 with dual 8" and 5" configurations with s-pen in the silo and Android OS....coming to a pocket near you.

6. Beefers

Beefers Pen Pal - Newbie

Honestly 8" is way too small for me haha, The Surface Go is prob the best device out there for the 3:2 no 16:10 but oh well (the black bars i can def deal with)