Fan won't shut off?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Michael7777, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Michael7777

Michael7777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi eveyone, just got my ep121 from the microsoft store at the mall of america and it seems good with exception to the fan... the fan runs at full throttle from start up to shutdown, plugged in or unplugged, on any of the handfull of power management settings, and/or regardless of coming out of sleep or from a cold start. bottom line is that it is always on at high speed.

1) it is really the only thing that is giving me reason to return it as it is distracting in a conference room. it sounds like the air vents on a jet plane.

2) surely, this must affect the battery life?

Is mine a bad one or is this a design issue? thanks for your help.

2. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

Read the forum first...

3. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I also bought from Microsoft Store and noticed that the fan was always on. I took it back and the second one is the same. Loud fan.

4. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

You got a unit with defective temp sensor..

5. Michael7777

Thanks CF77 and cmergel... @kurt... I did read the forums first and there are a variety of answers depending on what someone did in response to the loud fan / non-stop fan issue.

I guess I was just trying to double confirm that some of you out there are blessed with a unit that operates with the fan speed at low idle or maybe even off during periods of idle use or on power saver mode or something... I would like to use this slate for work, but sitting in a conference room right now as it is might not work. Also, the fan seems to drown out the mic when a person is speaking... so the audio portion in One Note does not work well.

I guess I could go to the microsoft store and try to see if they will just keep opeing up boxes until we find one without the fan noise issue? Does anyone else have any suggestions other than this? I bought the service plan for 3 years...

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea, don't bother sending the unit in as it will take a while and they may not fix the issue; just take it to the MS store to get a new one and open up, and check a new unit before walking out of there

7. Michael7777

Thanks Agent, I think I will do that... I will need to find a bathroom or something because it is a loud store to begin with... :confused:

Also, I guess I need to wipe all my personal info on the slate I am taking in right? In other words, odds are slim that they will just swap the SSD's right?

8. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

re: quiet room/noise
    That is the problem that I had. In the store with all the background noise it was actually difficult for the sales rep to believe me. Sad thing is the display model on the floor was just as loud so they said it was normal. After arguing for sometime and finally a manager they exchanged it, but said that I would have to go through mfg if I wasn't happy with the fan. I won't be buying again from MS Store.

9. Michael7777

Thanks cmergel... just curious with the PNW tag if you are over towards Bellevue or something? I am at Mall of America in MN so, I was wondering if it was the same Microsoft store or not?

10. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

First, yes, wipe the drive. Second, as CF77 said, most likely faulty sensor, since many of us have had ours for many months and have whisper quiet fans. So make sure your happy before you leave the store. Good advice Agent 9.

11. Michael7777

Well... as simliar to cmergel... there was no way in the store that they could hear the fan noise issue... had to find a guy who knew what I was referring to... in all, I ended up just returning it as I was only 1 week into it. I does seem nice, but a little bit laggy or buggy... maybe due to the fan or something else... Maybe it is just due to the OS not really being a tablet OS and the hardware not being in existence long enough to have the bugs worked out? Not sure...

The MS guy mentioned a samsung version coming out this week that had a sandy bridge and a few other things... maybe I will check that one out.

Thank you everyone for saving me a money loss on something I may have been frustrated with and not realized why. I appreciate it.

12. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Yes, Redmond/Bellevue area (Beautiful (wet) Pacific Northwest). Originally from Fargo ND (neighbor) (when I was a kid at least). :)

Bellevue MS Store is where I purchased.

13. Michael7777

That's cool... I used to live n the Olympic Penninsula... Port Townsend and Sequim. Nice over there...