Fan fix?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by r.a-c.r., Feb 24, 2010.

1. r.a-c.r.

r.a-c.r. Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all, I had an overheating issue where I would get "forced hibernation". The BIOS was set to "always on" and the fan made no sound and rarely felt like it was blowing. I got on with HP chat support and they sent me to this link.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...lc=en&cc=us&product=4121373&os=4063〈=en

This appears to have fixed the issue. Now my fan makes noise and is blowing a wee bit all the time. Hope this helps some of you.

It looks like a rollback, as the bios is the same number but the version I had was "5" and the new one was "4".

2. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

I actually had that message a few times myself. I've never seen my temps going higher then 53C (while gaming)so i'm not sure. I haven't noticed the fan ever increasing fan speed though. So while others on here were trying to figure out how to completely turn their fans off, I've been trying to figure out how to turn mine up lol. I prefer to always have my fan on so I may do this. Thanks for the link..

3. Synergi

I tried this bios and now I get a system board error at start up. Everything seems to work fine other then that. But now HP wants me to send it in so they can restore it and upgrade some chip for the fan.

Needless to say I'm not very happy at all. I'm within my 21 days to return it, so I'm just thinking if I want to repair or RMA it.

And why don't they have a way to control the fan speed? I never hear the fan rev up. It doesn't matter if its at 40C or 53C it feels the same to me.

Also, I get a over heat error every time I put it to sleep and wake it up again. The laptop will start up then the screen turns black and I have to hit the on off button to get it on again. Then I get a error about it over heating and was put into hibernate or some such. I don't think its over heating, although mine tends to run around 50C idle on my lap, and 44C if its not on my lap. I never did a clean windows7 install either, so I have a billion(84) processes running.

To boot, they won't let me keep my hard drive. I have to back it up because they plan to wipe it. Dell never put me through all of this so I'm just not happy at the moment. Although I do love the TM2.

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your problems Synergi! I know you where REALLY looking forward to getting yours. Gee, knock on wood I've not see any of these errors. I did upgrade my BIOS from the one that came on the machine to the one currently on HP's site for the 1000us version.

Everything thus far has been pretty much tip top, I do hope you just back up your unit and get a new one, it seems that people around here are having decent luck getting a second unit that's fixed. This is such a great machine when everything of course is working properly.

5. Synergi

heh, thanks Heatlessun. I am so disappointed. I'm afraid to exchange it more because of the LCD screen. I really don't think there is anything wrong with it another flash to the bios won't fix. Of course HP's great service, no one is listening to me, its either repair or exchange. If I ignore them and the laptop dies they will blame me because I didn't do either so I'm hosed either way. :(

6. black88mx6

black88mx6 Pen Pal - Newbie

With my current unit I had one error message about the fan right after I was doing a bios hard disk test and was about to reboot. It was some message about not being able to communicate with the fan. This was with the F05 bios. It could be one of the bugs with the bios, or some issue similar to the one your having. I have not seen it come up since going to the F.04 bios. Normally I have the fan always on in the bios disabled, and I have had turn off one a few times, but most of the time it is off. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the F.06 bios will fix all.

7. Synergi

Unbelievable, I just got off the phone with HP again, they just don't listen. I said about 5 times I rather wait to see if a bios update will fix it and they are stuck on repairing or replacing it. It's like they don't hear you. I say but I don't want to send it back. So they offer to exchange it again. Which is exactly what I just said I didn't want to do. My exchange is for March 20th.

I'll tell you one thing. People talk about Dell, but Dell's customer service is leaps and bounds above HP. This is after having three separate phones with them today. So, I'm forced into an exchange I didn't want since I don't want them repairing it. You'd think they'd be happy I didn't want to send it back and just say ok lets wait for the Bios to see if that works.

Sorry I'm venting lol.

8. black88mx6

Same thing with me when I kept telling them that they were asking me to go to an older BIOS. They only work off the scripts or what the lead tech tells them. When I finally went ahead and went from F.05 to F.04, they were baffled about the error I was getting. Of course, the HD vibration wasn't fixed either. I knew better than to back rev, but I did it anyways since my previous tm2 was at F.04 and it had no vibrations.

9. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Where is this F.05 BIOS coming from? My unit shipped with an older BIOS than the one currently on HP's site and I upgraded to it with no problems.

Did you guys try clearing out your BIOS settings? I think there is a restore to factory settings switch or something like that in the BIOS.

10. black88mx6

F.05 comes from recently shipped systems. My replacement unit arrived 2/24